Team Media: Alex Johnston and Campbell Graham

RABBITOHS BOOSTED BY JOHNSON’S RE-SIGNING

The re-signing of club legend Alex Johnson has provided a much-needed boost at Redfern, with his fellow team-mates praising his influence.

No one was more pleased with this news than centre Campbell Graham, who was comforted by the loyalty shown towards a fellow local junior.

“Personally I was stoked, clearly the rest of the boys were because when Wayne announced it, the place went off,” he said.

“It’s such a good outcome for a pretty tricky situation the club and AJ found themselves in. I’m so pleased for him that he could extend here at South Sydney.

“We love having him around here, no one embodies what we’re about more than AJ, he’s a local junior who has so much passion for this club.

“Being a local junior myself, it was really comforting, very great to see Souths were willing to do whatever they could to keep AJ on board at the club,

“I feel like he’s a great asset for the club and a big part of our leadership team heading forward.”

This was shared by Liam Knight, who believes that Johnson is a valuable asset to the club both on and off the field.

“Yeah that was a big relief, everyone at the club loves having him around. He’s a good person and he’s a great winger, he covers a lot of positions for us and is a genuinely good person,” Knight said.

“When we all found out, you should’ve heard the news in the sheds when we found out he re-signed.”

• Nathan Williamson

GRAHAM LOOKING TO IGNORE ORIGIN SPECULATION AHEAD OF FINALS

As the Rabbitohs continue to march up the ladder, centre Campbell Graham is looking to put any thoughts of a maiden Origin appearance behind him as they prepare for the finals.

Since moving to centre, Graham has been a revelation for South Sydney over the past month, scoring seven tries in five games.

Having played in the position through the juniors, the 21-year-old admits that he needed to lift his performances in order to replace the likes of Braidon Burns and James Roberts.

“It’s been enjoyable for myself,” Graham told media on Monday.

“I played a lot of centres coming through the juniors and the Under 20’s system.

“I got the opportunity cause Braidon and Jimmy the Jet found themselves getting injured and I’ve tried to take the opportunity with both hands and make it my own.

“The team probably need me to step up this year and I’ve really tried to do that.”

With the Coogee junior representing Australia at the Nines last year, Graham is drawing off that experience as he looks to guide Souths into the finals, suggesting that whoever is picked for the end of season Origin series will do NSW proud.

“That was big for me playing in the Nines. I got called in late to play alongside a lot of rep players in that team and a couple of the top dogs in the NRL is big for me,” he said.

“ In terms of Origin this year, this something for the end of the season so I don’t have to worry about that until the season is finished

“I’m really focused here at Souths, I’m not even too worried about that, to be honest. There are plenty of stiff competition for outside backs spots in Origin so whoever goes there will be more than capable to do the job for NSW."

- Nathan Williamson

7 Likes

Great article IMO showing some Rabbitos spirit.

3 Likes

People are sleeping on Campbell Graham. Still only 21 years old and could easily become the best centre in the game.

6 Likes

Going by what Nicholls said in his media it doesn’t sound like Tatola will be fit this week.

Love this club,love what we stand for,love our history and love our junior clubs and players.
I consider myself a lucky man,I have my Wife my children,my grandchildren,my dogs and South Sydney.
Who could ask for more.

9 Likes

Rather give Jnr the extra week off then rush him back v Dogs.

5 Likes

Yep send him out against the rorters to give Crichton a touch up.

1 Like

And we all know that when you listen to Nicholls you gotta listen to Nicholls

5 Likes

I am not religious, nor do i believe in heaven or hell. However i have of late begun to believe in Nicholls.

When i die I will meet God Version Nicholls. His beard will probably be just a tiny bit bigger but his head will still be shaved.

I will meet him at the “gate”. I am uncertain if it will look like the tunnel to the sheds or middle of the field 1m out from the tryline.

He will greet me and i shall be humbled. He shall announce “You are a Rabbitoh and hence you shall pass unto the glory and promised land.”

He will then gaze downwards and he will announce “That is where the supporters of the other 15 teams go”. And briefly i have terrible visions. I hear screams of agony and torment. I hear the endless agony of dropped balls, dumb penalties, poor defence, 60+ points against you and The Wooden Spoon Of Death.

I think thank fuck im a Bunnies supporter, cheekily give God Nicholls beard a tug, then hop on into the promised land. Yay.

5 Likes

Surely that wins post of the year that was beautiful it brung a tear to my eye.

1 Like

Everytime Nicholls comes on off the bench I have a tear in my eye. Praise be.