Sydney’s 2CH becomes SEN as Crocmedia confirms sports format

Sydney’s 2CH becomes SEN as Crocmedia confirms sports format
Zanda Wilson
Assistant Editor
Radio Today
August 19, 2020

Crocmedia is re-launching 2CH as SEN 1170 SEN, with the Sydney station’s new owners confirming a move to a sports format.

The station was purchased by Craig Hutchison’s Pacific Star Network in June, and now the latest SEN station welcomes Fox League commentator Andrew Voss for a new Breakfast show.

Despite reports to the contrary suggesting that 1170AM would retain a Classic Hits format, Hutchison has now told Mediaweek the station will be “Sydney’s new home of sport.

“We are moving ahead with a sports led format in Sydney with 1170 SEN,” he said, noting the station will have the rights to “virtually all sports”, and admitting there was never a plan to keep 2CH.

1170 SEN will remain a DAB+ station when it launches, but there is no set launch date at this stage. Factors will include the state of coronavirus in Australia, but Hutchison confirmed it will definitely be up and running before the NRL Grand Final and standalone State Of Origin series.

“The back end of this year in Sydney is too compelling an opportunity for us,” Hutchison said.

“There is rugby league and an Australia – India test series, Big Bash League, A-League, The Everest and The Golden Eagle and the Australian Open golf. An enormous calendar of sport in Sydney from mid-October through to the end of February.”

The transition appeared to have started earlier this week when 2CH oddly turned into an exact double of 2UE for a few hours on Monday, August 17.

“The issue was caused by technical changes required to separate Classic Hits 2CH from the Nine Radio Network, and resulted in Radio 2UE being broadcast instead of Classic Hits 2CH on DAB+, the APP and streaming,” a spokesperson explained to Radio Today.

On the appointment of Voss for Breakfast, Hutchison told MediaWeek the new program will be “sports plus, he won’t be afraid to go beyond sport if and when he needs to.

“He has a lot say and he is a real identity we think audiences will connect with.”

Hutchison said the station will be locally-programmed from 6am to 6pm, except “an hour of Gerard Whateley that will be for Sydney audiences which will air around lunchtime.”

1170 SEN Sydney will join 1538 SENTrack Sydney, which launches this Saturday, August 22. The two stations will be housed in North Sydney where new Crocmedia studios are being built.

SEN previously announced the appointment former Southern Cross Austereo and Australian Radio network executive Simon Dennis group commercial director for NSW, who is “super excited” to be back in radio.

Its NSW sales will be headed up by Sydney head of sales Simon Dennis, with guidance from national head of sales Patrick Moloughney.

Crocmedia plans to have 20 stations on air by 2021 including 15 broadcast licences as well as several DAB+ stations.

SEN unveils plans for Sydney
By SEN a day ago

Andrew Voss, the voice of sport in Sydney, will headline SEN’s new radio station 1170 SEN when it roars to life later this year.

Announcing its plans today, the sports entertainment network revealed it would launch 1170 SEN and DAB+ as Sydney’s new Home of Sport – with Vossy to host its all-important breakfast show.

CEO Craig Hutchison said veteran sports broadcaster Voss was a coup-signing for the station and the first of several respected sports broadcasters to join the team.

“If it’s happening in sport here or around the world, 1170 SEN Sydney will take you there – with live coverage of NRL, State of Origin, Test cricket, Big Bash, A-League, AFL and racing - alongside, news, opinion and debate from the country’s biggest names in sport.

“We are honoured and thrilled that Vossy will lead the charge when we launch. He has built a truly special connection with Sydney audiences not only as as the man voted the most popular rugby league caller in the country, but as one of sport’s great all-rounders including his coverage of both Summer and Winter Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, World Cups and championships as well as an array of sports from surfboat racing, to touch football, to triathlons and even bull riding,” Hutchison said.

“He’ll have an opinion and drive a contemporary sports-led breakfast show.”

Fox League’s Voss said he was excited to be joining 1170 SEN Sydney.

“I’ve always loved radio from the moment I started my career in the media way back in 1987, so the opportunity to get back into it and create something unique was really appealing. The show is going to be a bit like reading the paper from back to front – there will be plenty of sport, but we’ll also cover what’s making news. I can’t wait to chat to listeners and take Sydney’s sporting-pulse each weekday morning,” Voss said.

“As someone who likes his poker, I’ll put it this way, we’ll be pushing our chips all-in to make a great breakfast show like no other in the market.”

Voss will also be heard for breakfast on SEN’s new racing station SENTrack in Sydney on 1539AM and DAB+ which launches this Saturday 22 August and also be heard on SENTrack Wollongong 1575 AM and Gosford 801 AM.

Popular rugby league personalities Joel Caine and Jimmy Smith will continue to host the breakfast show on SENTrack until Voss joins, with the boys to then take on other roles with the station.

Acclaimed sports broadcaster Gerard Whateley’s number one sports radio show* will also be heard live on 1170 SEN and DAB+ from 12-1pm Monday - Thursday, with other talent signings to be announced shortly.

SEN acquired the 2CH 1170 AM radio licence in June this year and plans to continue Classic Hits 2CH on DAB+ and via live streaming on the app and web.

“We are hugely respectful of 2CH’s loyal and dedicated audience - which is why we plan to retain the brand and secure its future on the fastest-growing audio platform – digital radio,” Hutchison said.

2CH already has a strong DAB+ audience with at least 20,000 2CH listeners tuning into DAB+ each week`.

With close to 1 million DAB+ devices sold each year, there are now more than 5.6m DAB+ devices in households across Australia^.

"Our listeners over-index for non-traditional ways of consuming our product which is why we are excited to offer four DAB+ stations in Sydney: Classic Hits 2CH, 1170 SEN, 1539 SENTrack and also our SEN Vic channel for those who want to tap into our local Melbourne programming including Melbourne’s most downloaded breakfast show: Breakfast with Garry Lyon & Tim Watson,” Hutchison said.

1170 SEN Sydney will launch later this year ahead of a big finish to the Australian sports calendar, including State of Origin and a marquee Test series between Australia and India.

Over summer, 1170 SEN will bring coverage of Big Bash matches as well as selected Tests and the Australian Open to Sydney sports fans.

In other news, SEN will launch its hybrid music/sport station SEN Spirit 621 Southwest on Monday and early September, the broadcaster will launch SENTrack 1053AM Brisbane and 1620AM Gold Coast featuring a dedicated local breakfast show with former Australian test cricketer Ian Healy and veteran sports journalist Pat Welsh – taking its SENTrack stations to nine around the country.

1170 SEN can also be heard via the SEN app.

6 Likes

I’ve been listening to the breakfast show with Jimmy Smith & Joel Caine for a while now, it’s saved me from having to listen to Michael Clarke & a lesser extent Laurie Daley, the big sports breakfast is so, so bad
SEN has been a great relief
They obviously know they can get on top of the BSB it’s so terrible

1 Like

You couldn’t get two people on a breakfast show more unlikeable than those two. Daley just a massive soft yes man. And Clarky has such a high opinion of Michael Clarke.

2 Likes

By the sounds of things, if SEN get Vossy they’ll kill the BSB & I think they’ll have to make changes
The only positive is Gerard Middleton & Dave Stanley

NEW SYDNEY SPORTS RADIO STATION ASSEMBLES ALL STAR TEAM
Paul Kent and Michael Carayannis, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
October 8, 2020 10:31pm

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/55f068d9f4b89e8c9b31ec6184a35ee2?width=1024
SEN has assembled an all star line-up — Matt White, Katie Brown, Jimmy Smith, Andrew Voss, Bryan Fletcher, Joel Caine and Matty Johns. Picture: Dylan Robinson

Greg Alexander and Stephanie Brantz are the latest to join SEN’s sporting station ahead of its launch later this month.

Fox League commentator Andrew Voss is putting the final touches to the plans for his breakfast show.

Voss, who cut his teeth in radio, said the show would be like reading the back of the newspaper first before working your way to the front.

“We’re not all sport,” Voss said.

“If you tune into the breakfast show you’re going to not miss out on your dose of news. Sport is going to be the biggest vehicle.

“I go all the way back in radio to 1987. I joined 2UE pre-John Laws’ return and before the rise of Alan Jones. I’ve seen how you can start from the bottom and how you want to go about it and build up.

“We’re not there to force an opinion on all things but by the time the show finishes we’ll make sure you’re across everything that’s happening.”

Voss will be joined by Katie Brown at breakfast with the likes of Matt White, Jimmy Smith, Joel Caine and Bryan Fletcher having shows throughout the day.

Alexander will join Matty Johns on Fridays and on White’s Monday morning show. Johns’ show will follow Voss’s on Friday while White will host from Monday to Thursday.

Brantz will have an hour long specific women’s sport show with long form interviews each Tuesday at 8pm.

The station is yet to announce its official start date.

“We’re going to have a red-hot go,” Voss said. “Any previous attempts of a sport station in Sydney have gone horribly wrong. We will be Sydney-centric.”

Smith will host 1-3pm and then 6-7pm before Christmas before taking on the 6-9pm shift in the new year. Caine and Fletcher will host 3-6pm. The station will be heard on 1170AM in Sydney.

1 Like

Brandy and Brantz join 1170 SEN Sydney
By SEN 9 days ago

Sydney newest radio station 1170 SEN has assembled a star-studded line-up ahead of its imminent launch – including latest recruits Greg Alexander and Stephanie Brantz.

Penrith legend and expert commentator and analyst Greg ‘Brandy’ Alexander will join Matty Johns as a regular guest on his Friday morning show – ‘Morning Glory’. Brandy will also do the ‘Monday Means Test’ with Matt White every Monday from at 9.30am recapping the weekend in rugby league.

1170 SEN has also signed Stephanie Brantz who will host a weekly show: Trailblazers with Stephanie Brantz on Mondays 8pm. The show will feature long form interviews with trailblazing women in sport – current and former players, coaches and administrators – talking about their life, career and impact on women’s sport.

Stephanie is an accomplished sports presenter who recently hosted the US OPEN Primetime program on ESPN and prior to that was in France for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 for FIFA TV. Locally she has commentated for the Westfield W-League on Fox Sports and ABC, as well as presenting and covering Women’s Golf for the ABC and writing, reporting and hosting for ESPN Australia.

“I’m delighted to be joining the 1170 SEN team and to have the opportunity to tell the stories of the incredible women who have achieved such amazing things in sport. Women’s sport has been on an incredible upward trajectory over the past decade and there is no better time to celebrate those involved and get a real insight into their lives, careers and experiences,” Brantz said.

The pair joins a line-up of the biggest names in sport who have signed with the station including Andrew Voss, Matty Johns, Matt White, Bryan Fletcher, Joel Caine, Katie Brown and Jimmy Smith.

Acclaimed sports broadcaster Gerard Whateley’s number one sports radio show* will also be heard live on 1170 SEN and DAB+ from 12-1pm Monday – Thursday.

1170 SEN Sydney will launch soon ahead of a big finish to the Australian sports calendar, including State of Origin, Big Bash and the much-awaited Australia v India Test series.

The high-profile line-up includes:
• Breakfast with Andrew Voss, Monday – Friday, 6-9am – to be joined by Katie Brown for sports updates each morning
• Mornings with Matt White, Monday – Thursday, 9am-noon
• Morning Glory with Matty Johns, Fridays, 9am-noon
• Whateley, Monday – Thursday, 12-1pm with Gerard Whateley
• Jimmy Smith, Monday – Friday, 1-3pm
• Drive with Joel and Fletch, Monday – Friday, 3-6pm – Joel Caine and Bryan Fletcher
• Evenings with Jimmy Smith, Monday - Friday, 6-7pm

Last month, SEN launched its dedicated racing station SENTrack 1539 and DAB+ into Sydney with acclaimed racing broadcaster Andrew Bensley to host its morning show from December.

Sydney audiences will have a choice of four Sports Entertainment Network DAB+ stations: 1170 SEN, 1539 SENTrack, Classic Hits 2CH and also SEN Vic channel for those who want to tap into programming including Melbourne’s most downloaded breakfast show: Breakfast with Garry Lyon & Tim Watson.

Sports Entertainment Network acquired the 2CH 1170 AM radio licence in June this year and plans to continue Classic Hits 2CH on DAB+ and via live streaming on the app and web.

1170 SEN can also be heard via the SEN app.

Is this just more Murdoch Shite ?

2 Likes

No.

Pacific Star Network Limited is a media company. The Company has interests in broadcasting (1116 SEN, 1377 3MP, Rythmos, Aussie and KOOOL) and publishing (frankie, Smith Journal, Slow and Inside Football magazine) and digital assets (www.sen.com.au and www.frankiepress.com.au). The Company operates through two segments: broadcasting and publishing. The Company owns over two Melbourne AM commercial broadcasting licenses and broadcasts around the clock on 1377 MMP and 1116 SEN. The Company also operates over two digital-only radio stations, AUSSIE, which is an Australian station, and KOOOL, which plays songs from the70s and 80s. 1116 SEN Sports Entertainment Network broadcasts sports radio throughout the Melbourne metropolitan area. 1116 SEN caters for all sports on around the clock basis. Its subsidiaries include Victorian Radio Network Pty Ltd, Malbend Pty Ltd, Inside Football Pty Ltd and Melbourne Radio Operations Pty Ltd.

2 Likes

This makes me happy

I’ve been listening to this for a while, have had Joel Caine & Jimmy Smith on mornings for a while before it launches fully & it’s a pleasure not to have to listen to the Big Sports Breakfast anymore with Michael Clarke & Laurie Daley, I can’t stand Clarke, the annoying little shit stain, what a wanker he is

Cant wait to have sport on all day whilst at work, will make things go faster for sure

1 Like

What is the frequency? I can’t find it.

LoveVossy glad he’s not working with these nuffs.
Joel Caine and Jimmy Smith

1 Like

Starts Thursday 1170

1 Like

I think they’ve been great

Download the app etc
Or it’s easy to find on a digital radio
It’s the old 2CH
There is all day sport on one channel for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane , Adelaide all have their own frequencies with different line ups
There’s another station just for racing
There is still 2CH if that’s your bag too

1 Like

@MarchingOn it sounds like a great format.

I really enjoyed listening to the last sports station (old 2ue 954). It couldnt attract the ratings to continue thouth. I hope this attenpt will be more successful.

1 Like

I downloaded radio app but couldn’t find this station. Anyone know the exact name?

We heard you the first time.

:joy:

1 Like

https://www.sen.com.au/listen-live-sen-sydney/

https://www.sen.com.au/app/

2 Likes

Listen online in Sydney on https://www.sen.com.au/listen-live-sen-3/