State of Origin

Nine players added to NSW Blues extended squad
NSWRL
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 04:16 PM

The NSWRL is pleased to announce the following players have been added to the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues extended squad for the State of Origin series in November.

Boyd Cordner, Angus Crichton, Luke Keary, James Tedesco and Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters), and Nathan Brown, Reagan-Campbell-Gillard, Clint Gutherson and Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels) were selected after their teams were eliminated from the NRL finals series.

The squad will be added to every Sunday as further teams are eliminated from the NRL finals series and all players who are selected will be permitted to temporarily leave the NRL bubble introduced this season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The players will be required to maintain a level of fitness before re-entering the bubble again for the start of the NSW Origin camp on 19 October.

The opening game of the State of Origin series will be played at Adelaide Oval on 4 November, Game Two will be at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on 11 November and Game Three will be at Suncorp Stadium on 18 November.

Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues extended squad (in alphabetical order)

Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)
Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)
Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)

Roosters related …

1 Like

Likely Origin squads:

NSW

Backs: James Tedesco, Daniel Tupou, Josh Addo-Carr, Jack Wighton, Zac Lomax, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Stephen Crichton/Campbell Graham

Halves/hookers: Luke Keary, Cody Walker, Nathan Cleary, Damien Cook, Api Koroisau

Utility back: Clint Gutherson

Utility forward: Cameron McInnes

Middle forwards: Jake Trbojevic, Cameron Murray, Payne Haas, Daniel Saifiti, Nathan Brown, Junior Paulo, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Dale Finucane, Isaah Yeo

Edge back-rowers: Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Angus Crichton, Liam Martin

Queensland

Backs: AJ Brimson, Valentine Holmes, Dane Gagai, Edrick Lee, Hymel Hunt, Xaviar Coates, Corey Allan, Brenko Lee

Halves/hookers: Daly Cherry-Evans, Cameron Munster, Jake Friend, Harry Grant, Reed Mahoney

Utilities: Kurt Capewell, Ben Hunt

Middle forwards: Josh Papalii, Jai Arrow, Moeaki Fotuaika, Christian Welch, Patrick Carrigan, Lindsay Collins, Tino Faasuamaleaui, Josh Kerr, Dunamis Lui

Edge back-rowers: Felise Kaufusi, Jaydn Su’a, Coen Hess

1 Like

Roosters duo added to Bennett’s 16-man Maroons Origin squad
Mark St John
October 14, 2020 3:46pm

Roosters skipper Jake Friend and fiery forward Lindsay Collins have been added to Wayne Bennett’s Queensland Maroons squad for the end of season State of Origin series.

The Tri-colours teammates are the latest players to be added following the Roosters exit from the finals series after last Friday night’s 22-18 loss to the Raiders.

The duo’s inclusion takes the number of Queensland squad members to 16, with more players from the remaining four teams the Panthers, Storm, Raiders and Rabbitohs to be added when their finals campaigns end.

It has been a breakout year for 24-year-old Collins who narrowly missed out on playing in the Roosters last two premiership triumphs.

Collins played 19 games in 2020 taking his NRL tally to 43 and had been mentioned in Origin chatter since the middle of the season.

30-year-old veteran Friend is firming for an Origin debut after being in and around the Queensland squad earlier in his career, but stuck behind Cameron Smith.

Friend will provide a young Maroons team with some much needed experience with 263 games for the Roosters to his name and one Test for the Kangaroos in 2016.

Both NSW and Queensland will confirm their 27-man squads after the NRL Grand Final which takes place on October 25.

The Origin series opener kicks off at Adelaide Oval on November 4.

MAROONS SQUAD 2020

Jai Arrow (Gold Coast Titans)

AJ Brimson (Gold Coast Titans)

Moeaki Fotuaika (Gold Coast Titans)

Phillip Sami (Gold Coast Titans)

Edrick Lee (Newcastle Knights)

Hymel Hunt (Newcastle Knights)

Valentine Holmes (North Queensland Cowboys)

Coen Hess (North Queensland Cowboys)

Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos)

Patrick Carrigan (Brisbane Broncos)

Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Harry Grant (Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm)

Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles)

Jake Friend (Sydney Roosters)

Lindsay Collins (Sydney Roosters)

• Additional players will be added following NRL finals matches

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/teams/queensland/nrl-2020-queensland-maroons-origin-squad-roosters-jake-friend-lindsay-collins-wayne-bennett-nsw-blues/news-story/1447bacab1cb44474d0444da5fa3be34

1 Like

EXCLUSIVE: Blues, Fittler must be ready for Queensland ‘ambush’, says Phil Gould
By Marc Churches

Iconic former NSW Origin coach Phil Gould has sent a “warning” to Blues coach Brad Fittler and the playing group to be prepared for an entirely new ball-game now that Wayne Bennett is the man in charge of Queensland.

Despite heading into the November Origin series as clear underdogs, Bennett’s side will be full of confidence knowing the supercoach, who led the Maroons to five series victories across seven campaigns, is the new man in charge after taking over from Kevin Walters.

With a host of stars including Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga all unavailable for selection, Bennett has named 11 rookies in the 16-player squad that has so far been named.

Wests Tigers loan sensation Harry Grant and Titans young guns AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami have all been included to freshen up a side coming of two straight series losses.

Gould warned New South Wales that a Queensland “ambush” could be on the cards with the Maroons not afraid to compete with their backs against the wall under the legendary coach.

“You underestimate this at your peril, and I don’t think anyone will underestimate it, but it’s impossible to overestimate the effect he (Bennett) will have,” Gould told Wide World of Sports’ Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"I have no doubt this has totally changed the dynamic of what we’re about to witness in November when the series begins.

"I put out the warning straight away and I can see by the players and types of player he’s putting in his squad – this is an ambush waiting to happen.

"I can see what he’s bringing to the table.

“This is totally different now that Wayne Bennett is coaching Queensland.”

Gould also touched on some of the injuries to the Blues and revealed he’s confident NSW skipper Boyd Corder and potential debutant Luke Keary will be available for the series.

But after both stars struggled with injuries throughout the season, the former six-time winning Origin coach said New South Wales would need to win the opening two matches of the series in Adelaide and Sydney, with fears a Game Three decider in Brisbane could be too much for the squad.

“Luke Keary and Boyd Corder have had their issues with injuries and the concussion protocol. Their wellness will be taken into account,” Gould said.

"I’m not sure how the NSW coaches are going to handle this as to whether they look at it as a three-game series.

"My advice would be they try to get the series over quickly.

"I don’t think I would like to go to Brisbane in Game Three against a Wayne Bennett coached-side for a decider.

“If they can win the game in Adelaide and complete the series in Sydney, that’s the best way to go.”

Despite believing that Blues skipper Cordner will be ready to lead the team when the series kicks off, Gould said he wouldn’t be surprised if he was forced to rest and play on limited minutes.

“Boyd Cordner, I think now that he can get a break, he can get a month off leading into that first game, I don’t think there’s any doubt he will be captain and play Game One, and then will have to be monitored from then on,” he said.

"New South Wales won’t be doing anything to the detriment of the player.

"He will be well looked after. I think a month off will do him the world of good.

"I think Boyd will know too, whether he’s up for this Origin encounter. He’s very proud about being New South Wales captain.

"I would expect him to line-up in Game One and do his best and then see how they go from there.

"Depending on that result, if they happen to win that game – I think if he starts the series as captain, I don’t think they’re going to want to change the captaincy and the leadership throughout the series.

“They might manage his game time a little bit. But if Boyd stands up, he will be in the side.”

1 Like

What’s fittler playing at, news report in Qld saying he endorses Cody as the 5/8. Is he trying to put the mock on him by announcing this now? Or am I paranoid hahaha

Fittler is an A-grade #uck#it a Goosters stooge
I’m hoping Queensland wins two years in a row and the #rick gets the ass

3 Likes

Cody will be in the squad but there he is 1000-1 of getting a run unless Keary and Jack Whighton go down with injury.

You could possibly throw him on the bench but I think someone like Gutherson has more versatility for that role.

Bennett is a very clever appointment by QRL in this situation.

They’ll be blooding a lot of youth, and with three solid weeks in the bubble - instead of in and out of club duties - it means that Bennett’s style of man management will work far better.

I know NSW have a glut of players that Queensland just don’t have, but this is going to be the most interesting series in years IMO.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Raiders, Rabbitohs players added to NSW State of Origin squad after NRL finals exit
By Tim Elbra

NSW coach Brad Fittler has added five more players to his 27-man Blues State of Origin squad after Canberra and South Sydney bowed out of the NRL finals.

The players are Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric (Raiders), Cody Walker, Cam Murray and Damien Cook (Rabbitohs). All five have previously played for NSW and their selection was expected.

Wighton, Murray and Cook are incumbent players. Walker was dropped after the first game of last year’s series, while Cotric played just one game due to injury.

The Raiders bowed out of the NRL finals after losing to Melbourne on Friday, while the Rabbitohs lost to Penrith on Saturday.

Fittler has added to his extended squad as teams have exited the finals, with just Panthers and Storm players left to be included after next Sunday’s grand final.

NSW’s State of Origin squad to date. (Nine)

The opening game of the State of Origin series will be played at Adelaide Oval on 4 November, Game Two will be at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on 11 November and Game Three will be at Suncorp Stadium on 18 November.

2 Likes

Campbell Graham really unlucky with injury i think

1 Like

5 chooks & 3 Rabbitohs?

Doesn’t sound like a Fittler move :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Surely Keary & Cordner with their head knocks will drop out? They’re setting themselves up for a hard road later in life

1 Like

I’m still not convinced Cordner has a brain.

1 Like
2 Likes

Here’s the source.

3 Likes

Good to see that GI can have a laugh. They were getting him to stir the crowd up before the game. Introduced as a former great player. Before 2014 they use to trot out Bobby Mac and Sattler to do the rounds. Now a new generation of heroes. I could imagine a kid under 10 sitting there and asking his dad if this GI was any good or not. 'Did you ever see him play?" What was the GF like? Did he play?

4 Likes