Russell Crowe in Unhinged & Rabbitohs Mention + Danielle Spencer Music

Russell Crowe educates Americans on how to use everyday Australian slang in hilarious video

https://celebrity.nine.com.au/latest/russell-crowe-educates-americans-on-australian-slang/2dc2bbe0-3014-41af-8a4e-abcc47a44818

Russell Crowe tests his knowledge of Aussie and Kiwi slang. From “bugger all” to “jandals,” the Australian New Zealander takes you through some “sweet as” phrases from down under.
Unhinged releases July 10
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Russell Crowe talks about his rugby team kneeling to shed light on Australia’s negative colonial history and shares how Uber Eats played a role in his kids’ decision to isolate in the most populous part of Australia.
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Russell Crowe talks about playing a terrifying character in Unhinged and reflects on his iconic role in Gladiator.

More here: https://twitter.com/russellcrowe & https://www.instagram.com/russellcrowe/

Russell Crowe’s ex wife Danielle Spencer is releasing an album under “Lost Luggage”.
The first single off the new album is a cover of the 1984 hit ‘Smalltown Boy’ by Bronski Beat

More here: https://www.instagram.com/daniellespencerofficial/
https://www.facebook.com/wearelostluggage
https://www.instagram.com/wearelostluggage/
https://www.instagram.com/vincepizzinga/

The song is available on Spotify now (streaming)

Lost Luggage (Danielle Spencer)
Smalltown Boy

Bronski Beat
The Age of Consent

3 Likes

Lost Luggage - Smalltown Boy
Video directed by Joe Machart *
Producer, Studio Personnel, Mixer, Engineer: Vince Pizzinga
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Steve Smart
Composer Lyricist: Jimmy Somerville
Composer Lyricist: Larry Steinbachek
Composer Lyricist: Steven Bronski

Universal Music Group Released on: 2020-06-22

*Trivia Joe Machart was the Cinematographer on “Slammin’ Sam: The Sam Burgess Story”

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

She has spent much of the past 20 years humbly keeping the home fires burning as a mother to two sons and former wife to their Oscar-winning father Russell Crowe

– and, as actress and singer Danielle Spencer tells Stellar, those roles suited her just fine. But with an album on the way as well as a revealing new project partly inspired by her mother’s battle with breast cancer, Spencer is ready to step back into the spotlight and bare more than her soul

Photography DUNCAN KILLICK

Styling KELLY HUME

The trouble with having teenage sons is that one minute they’re bouncing around at your shoulder and the next they’re gazing down at you from on high. That’s certainly the case for Danielle Spencer, the diminutive singer and actor whose two children with former husband Russell Crowe now tower above her.

“They’re both taller than me and they literally pick me up and move me out of the way if I’m standing in front of a cupboard,” Spencer tells Stellar, laughing at the antics of her boys, Charlie, 16, and Tennyson, who turns 14 this week. “A week ago my youngest son picked me up, put me in the pantry, shut the door and trapped me in there. He was just playing, just getting me out the way.”

At 160cm tall with a petite frame, Spencer may be easy pickings for the lads who have inherited their father’s physique, but what she lacks in size, the 51-year-old makes up for with a surprising strength and sense of self.

For years, she was the quiet presence often at Crowe’s side, but eight years on since she split from the Oscar-winning superstar, it’s clear she’s a powerful force in her own right. With an album of ’80s classics set for release and a starring role in the Seven Network’s forthcoming production The All New Monty: Guys And Gals, Spencer is not so much stepping out from the shadows but prioritising herself after years of putting others first. The talent and showmanship has always been there – it’s just over 30 years since she and Crowe met on the set of The Crossing – but as our photo shoot attests, she is confident in her own skin and abilities.

While momentarily hesitant to wear an ultra-short fuchsia Marni top as a dress, Spencer quickly throws caution to the wind, and before long is gyrating to the Grace Jones classic ‘Pull Up To The Bumper’ as she reflects on the decade from which it came. “The ’80s are very nostalgic for me,” she says. “It was my era of growing up and going to nightclubs, so they’re an integral part of my youth. I miss those teenage years of naïvety and youthful enthusiasm – though I’m happy to see the back of my massive spiral perm!”

Spencer may have spent her 30s and 40s as the support act to a larger-than-life husband and as the primary parent to their sons, but she is marking her 50s by returning to her own ventures. “Priorities” is a word that peppers her conversation with Stellar, and, while she has no regrets about putting her children first, she exudes clear delight at being able to indulge in her creative side once again.

“It was difficult because I always felt that to keep our family together both of us couldn’t be working and there came a point where I had to prioritise the kids, where they needed to be and their schooling,” she says matter-of-factly. “Obviously Russell’s career was going gangbusters and I just felt like, ‘This is not my time.’ I absolutely love being a mother and I wouldn’t change a thing, but I didn’t feel I could prioritise my career for a while there. The kids needed a parent who was present.”

Spencer has no regrets about her decision and feels fortunate that Crowe’s Hollywood pay packet meant she didn’t have to earn money, but she’s relishing being able to devote herself to a return to music in 2020. Her new project Lost Luggage is an eight-track album featuring covers of songs made famous by the likes of George Michael and Bronski Beat, and was recorded at her Sydney home with longtime friend and producer Vince Pizzinga. Her take on Eurythmics’ ‘Who’s that Girl?’ is a standout. Spencer tells Stellar she has been heartened by lead singer Annie Lennox’s missives via Instagram during the coronavirus lockdown. “She’s been doing some very soothing and comforting talks,” Spencer says. “She’s so sweet, and when you’ve admired somebody for so long, it’s nice to find out they’re so lovely.”

As for her own lockdown, Spencer says she enjoyed spending time at the piano and hanging out with her sons and partner of four years, author Adam Long. Crowe, whom she formally divorced in 2018, had offered to have his ex and their children stay with him at his property at Nana Glen in northern NSW, but she didn’t want to put his parents, who also live on the farm, at risk. “Russell very kindly offered so we were out of harm’s way, but we didn’t know how bad it was going to get, so we decided to stay in Sydney,” she says. The boys didn’t see their dad during that period but both enjoyed schooling from home. Asked if they inherited their parents’ creative abilities, Spencer reveals, “They both do drama at school and the eldest really enjoys music. The youngest loves his basketball.”

October marks three decades since the release of The Crossing, the tender comingof-age movie that not only offered Crowe, Spencer and fellow actor Robert Mammone one of their first forays into acting, but led to a love affair between two of the leads. Spencer had a boyfriend during filming, but she and Crowe stayed in touch and a year later their friendship developed into a relationship. She remembers him having a very “intense” energy, and while he would go on to a breakthrough role with Gladiator and a high-profile relationship with actress Meg Ryan, the attraction remained. When they wed in 2003 on Crowe’s 39th birthday, the actor confided that he’d thought of marrying her the very first time they met.

While the marriage eventually floundered, the fondness remained. Spencer points out that her own parents, who separated when she was in her early 30s, offered a blueprint of how a couple can continue to be friends. “We have a lot of respect for each other and I consider him to be a member of my family,” she says. “The marriage ended, but that didn’t mean our friendship ended. We’ve had holidays together in the past and we can happily sit down and chat.” Crowe, likewise, remains entwined. “I’ve loved Danielle Spencer since 1989; that’s never going to change,” he said in 2015.

As for her new beau, Spencer smiles at the mention of his name. “It’s going very well. He’s a very kind, gentle soul. We have a lot in common and we understand each other. It’s a very easy relationship and we get along very well.” As for whether she’d marry again, she says simply, yet with no apparent angst, that she doesn’t know.

One thing she is certain about is maintaining her health. Having suffered from irritable bowel syndrome, she’s been gluten and dairy intolerant for 20 years, adding wryly that it makes her sound “instantly tedious”. She’s not a dieter but eats healthily so she can enjoy treats, such as dairy-free cookies and cream, ice-cream and the occasional vodka, lime and soda. But even though she’s retained the body of her youth, she was reluctant when approached to take part in The All New Monty. “I could not imagine standing on stage and stripping for an audience, but then I thought about my mother, who had breast cancer a few years ago, and realised it was something I could do to raise awareness. They’ve done a wonderful job with the show in previous years, so I knew I’d be in good hands.”

The fact her mum, Julie, is a vigilant breast checker meant she caught the cancer very early and was spared rigorous chemotherapy treatment, but Spencer is mindful that others are not so fortunate. While she was apprehensive before filming the show, the camaraderie she shared with the rest of the cast put her at ease. “My nerves dropped away completely when the music started and I really enjoyed it,” she says. “There was a lovely group of women and we got on extremely well. We’re still messaging each other.”

Spencer hasn’t ruled out a return to acting, though she acknowledges it takes energy to chase the work. While she may not have realised some of her earlier professional ambitions, the road she chose has brought a great deal of personal fulfilment. “Motherhood enriches your life in so many ways,” she points out. “A lot of creative people can get stuck in their own heads. Having kids takes the focus off yourself. It’s a humbling experience. It deepens you and helps you to grow up.”

For a woman who has, at times, been defined by someone else, she’s turned the corner into her 50s with a renewed sense of what makes her happy. “I’m in a fairly pragmatic place in my life,” she confirms. “I try not to berate myself over things. If everything is not done on any particular day, the world is not going to end. There are a lot of negatives about getting older, but one of the positives is that you feel more grounded. I’m in a really good place, my kids are doing well and life is peaceful.”

Lost Luggage is available to buy, stream or download from this Friday.

“Motherhood enriches your life in so many ways. Having kids takes the focus off yourself. It’s a humbling experience. It deepens you”

https://metros.smedia.com.au/thedailytelegraph/default.aspx?publication=NCTELE

2 Likes

1 Like

Russell Crowe will be on Channel 9’'s The Today Show on Tuesday 22 July.

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow
https://twitter.com/russellcrowe

1 Like

Russell Crowe on iso life, the media and new film Unhinged
Stephanie Bunbury
By Stephanie Bunbury
July 18, 2020 — 4.00pm

Russell gets the funny side. Who wouldn’t? Russell Crowe, whose ready temper has provided material for so many gossip columns, is starring in a film about road rage called Unhinged. Crowe plays a character simply called the Man who, after an altercation at a stoplight, tells the woman who tooted him that she is about to learn that actions have consequences; he then pursues her and her family for the rest of the film.

It’s scary because he’s Russell Crowe who, as we all know, is a great actor. It’s also funny because he’s Russell Crowe, thrower of phones. Tell anyone that Russell Crowe’s new film is about road rage and you will get a hoot of knowing laughter in reply.

Of course, he knew that going in. “I actually saw that as kind of amusing. This is the cliche that has been built around who I am,” he says. “But in reality if you look at my work life, I go from one set to another set, I do the work that I want to do. That cliched description that is applied to me isn’t any level of my truth.”

When you acquire a certain critical mass of fame, he says, you lose control over what is said about you. “You have just become an asset to the media as a broader phenomenon. So it’s the truth of the asset-builders, but it is funny to me to play a character like this because those asset-builders actually created the market for this character. The character could work!” He snorts with laughter.

Crowe is speaking to me from his property in Nana Glen in northern NSW, where he has been spending lockdown with his aged parents. Most of the things he does – making movies, performing music, presiding over the South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league club – involve dealing with a lot of people. On the farm, he gets to talk to his Angus cattle.

“I understand a lot of people have had a shitload worse time than me,” he says. “But in reality, the reason I bought this land in the bush in the first place is that I’ve been self-isolating on and off for the past three decades – and it turns out I’m rather good at it.” It’s the longest he has got to spend in the bush, he says, since he was married and had small children. His older son is now 16.

“So there is one side of it that for me has been quite beneficial. A less frenetic life. A life with fewer flights and responsibilities in other places. To have time at home has allowed me to get a lot of stuff organised.” There are scripts to write or read – “here on my desk, there are nine principal projects and another half dozen on top of that” – dialogue to loop in his home studio, mowing and planting to do on the farm. His sons have just arrived for the school holidays.

He keeps a farmer’s routine: up early, early to bed, Sundays with his parents in the chapel he built on his property. Originally, it was a place to meditate; he then extended it for his wedding in 2003, two years after he won his Oscar for Gladiator. “Because, at the time, it was very difficult to make any plans anywhere in the world without them being invaded”. The current Sunday routine isn’t necessarily religious, he says; he makes up a playlist of songs and tries to get his father to sing along.

At first sight, Unhinged seems a surprising choice for an actor as conspicuously serious as Crowe. Ostensibly, it’s a straight-up genre film that asks one question: will Rachel, the scatty single mother played by Caren Pistorius, eventually get away? All you know about the Man – and indeed, all you need to know – is that he is very, very angry. It doesn’t seem much of a stretch for an actor who has made a career out of simmering complexity.

Crowe says he initially thought the same thing. He had agreed on a trip to Los Angeles to meet the director Derrick Borte, but was intending to tell him ‘no’. “When I first read it - and this is becoming a more and more regular thing for me – I didn’t see what I could do with it,” he says.

Everyone he told about the script, however, said it sounded great. “So it made me sort of start to think about it, because with each telling, you naturally start to distil it. And I started to realise that what I was being negative about was a certain type of fear.” It frightened him, he says, because he felt it was true.

“What I was reading was not a device for a genre film, but a comment on the place we’re in where, in cycles of time that are getting closer and closer together, someone stands up and enacts this type of rage. Whether they’re taking a firearm into a school or shooting in a Las Vegas nightclub, whatever it happens to be, we’re seeing this situation where a certain type of person is becoming bereft of humanity and empathy and taking this path.”

It’s not that the Man’s rampage can be excused or justified; while the script drops a few details about a lost job and a busted marriage, Crowe says Borte agreed with him this was not a man who had his reasons. “Because in reality, his life is the same as everybody else’s. We all have peaks; we all have valleys. Divorce is a punishing thing; it’s difficult for everybody, but it’s one of life’s travails. There are other things in play that strip this guy of his humanity - and it’s not just his individual experience. There’s a thousand things at the moment that undercut what a guy of his age may have grown up believing.”

Crowe is 56. He says he grew up believing we all shared the same ground rules. “Growing up, I always felt – and I’m not sure if you felt the same way – that there was a commonly understood truth, you know, regardless of what part of the political spectrum you were on and regardless of where you stood on a number of issues,” he says. Now, he thinks, society is cleaved into two sides that can’t even argue. “We don’t seem able to have conversations from different perspectives with any level of politeness and it’s getting worse and worse. Obviously a road rage response is an extreme situation, but we’re getting more and more of this from a societal perspective.”

Last month, the Crowe cliche again made headlines when he refused to join a chat show discussion about The Loudest Voice, in which he gives a phenomenally committed performance as the late Roger Ailes, founder and director of Fox News, after the host introduced the segment with a tirade describing Fox as “mental poison” and Ailes as a “sick person”. It was reported Crowe “went into a meltdown”, although he and the AOL producers denied it. “I wasn’t angry,” he says. “I just decided there is no place here for me in this conversation. You have taken it upon yourself in the introduction to colour anything I might say.”

It’s interesting, he says, how people don’t recognise their own bias “That’s probably what the exploration of The Loudest Voice is, at the end of the day. It’s what constitutes bias when you are in a situation where truth is just one option, it doesn’t necessarily drive what you’re doing.”

I speculate the Man is probably a Fox News watcher. There is a brief silence, during which I listen hopefully for the sounds of cattle lowing. “There’s no commentary in the movie at all that puts him on one side of political discourse or the other,” he says eventually. “The fact you’ve said that, that you have put that in as a symbol: now we are talking about your bias.”

We swing into a discussion of the vitriol of discussion on social media, which he doesn’t see as worse than any other media. “The language of human discourse, wanting to shout your opinion in social media is a direct descendant of lurid tabloid headlines, which have have become the norm of how we get our news,” he says. And broadsheets are the same. He doesn’t like my tribe much, which I guess is not surprising; he says he has been in this business since he was six, which means he has had 50 years to become disenchanted with being a media asset.

But he certainly doesn’t feel that way about making films; when he talks about directing, his excitement is palpable, even over the phone. He never felt more alive, he says, than when he was working on The Water Diviner, the World War I drama he directed in 2014. And while it may be difficult to get adult dramas made in this age of comic-strip tentpoles, he is working on it.

“It is the greatest job in the world, Stephanie, seriously. The greatest job in the world! It combines every artistic pursuit, you know, from composition painting, writing obviously, music: it is just everything. I’ve lived my entire life pursuing art, you know. And then to find out that this directing job is all art.” Not that acting has lost any of its lustre. “Every day I am walking towards a set for a day of work I know I’m in the right place,” says Crowe. “Because this is the job I’m supposed to do.”

Unhinged opens on July 30.

2 Likes

Part One of the Russell Crowe interview with Richard Wilkins was on The Today Show this morning.
Apparently the segment where he speaks about Souths will be shown on Today Extra this morning.

1 Like

Paul Kelly, Teskey Brothers, Julia Stone lead week two of ABC TV music show The Sound
By Dan Condon

Russell Crowe will be the guest co-host “The Sound” on ABC at 5.30pm

The guests for week two of ABC TV’s new music show The Sound have been announced.

The second episode will see Aussie legends Paul Kelly and Paul Grabowski deliver a stripped back song in the lead up to the release of their Please Leave Your Light On album.

The Teskey Brothers are one of Australia’s favourite groups right now. One imagines that adoration will only grow stronger when they play on national TV this Sunday night.

The new single from Julia Stone has us intrigued about her new direction. Hopefully we’ll get a bit of an indication with her performance on the show this Sunday.

James Reyne needs no introduction: Aussie Crawl frontman, chart topping solo artist, enduring figure in Australian music who still sounds brilliant.

Once wunderkinds, San Cisco have long since proven they have more staying power than

The line-up of fresh acts is just as strong as that of the legends. If you’re not already head over heels for Queensland acts Cub Sport, Sycco or Eves Karydas, that could change on Sunday night.

Not to bury the lede, but this week’s guest co-host is none other than Russell Crowe. The actor has recently proven to be a vocal lover and supporter of Australian music, so we imagine he’ll fit in nicely.

It will air on ABC TV at 5:30pm Sunday evening, and you can catch up on iview if that’s preferable.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Are you one of the Russell Crowe nut huggers that came to know Souths through Russell fandom?
Like “anything he likes we like”?

1 Like

Serendipity is a prolific poster of anything to so with Souths and we are all grateful for her efforts.

9 Likes

And are you one of those trolls who get off on being a keyboard warrior and putting others down to make up for your miserable existence?

3 Likes

You have made a fool of yourself mate.
You should apologize.

4 Likes