Rumours, Signings and Player Movements Season 2021

I have started a new thread the last one was getting overloaded and confusing.

With the new deadline of August, there will be constant rumours and player movement this season.

Please keep it on topic, respect each other and have healthy discussion, I think we all enjoy that.

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

What! Didn’t he just go through this with Wests?

5 Likes

If we lose Sua i’d be all over Matto, Matto doesn’t want to up and leave Parra like he did with Wests either it’s just expressions of interest who knows what’s going on maybe Parra have lowballed him or can’t afford to re-sign

2 Likes
1 Like

Matterson wouldn’t come to Souths he expects overs, he is a mercenary

4 Likes

The media have been relentless about Josh Mansour this week. :rage:

All the Souths related videos shown in the above video are in this thread.
Round 2 - Press Conferences, Training + Other Photos

2 Likes
2 Likes

Matterson is only on $500k a year at parra and
Hearing from a good source Sua is after $800k a year… seems a bit rich

7 Likes

dreaming if he wants 800, i rate him a lot but when guys like Angus are on 800k to go an give sua the same doesn’t make any sense, id rather offer kikau 800k

2 Likes

$800k? I don’t believe that.

I think your source is winding you up.

Whilst I am sure Su’a is looking to get the highest price he thinks he can ask, there is just no way I believe any team will pay that much for him.

Broncos are set for big deal changes

PETER BADEL

BRISBANE bosses will overhaul the structure of player contracts and put their entire salary-cap management under the microscope as the Broncos come to terms with David Fifita’s defection to the Titans.

The Broncos will look to scrap costly player-option clauses from future deals to avoid the salary cap mess that left Brisbane financially crippled in their attempt to stave-off a poaching raid on Fifita.

Brisbane’s recent history of expensive, long-term deals — many laced with employment clauses favouring the player — have been identified by Broncos powerbrokers as a factor in losing Fifita to the Titans.

NRL Immortal Andrew Johns has previously blasted the Broncos’ player development and Brisbane will confront their roster-management issues when Fifita faces the club in Titans colours on Friday night at Cbus Super Stadium. The Broncos never believed they would lose Fifita, hailed a once-in-a-generation talent, but were left scrambling under the salary cap when the Titans blew Brisbane out of the water with a club record $3.5 million deal. An analysis of every roster of the NRL’s 16 teams shows no club’s list contains as many contracts with player-options as the Broncos.

Player-options can become a fiscal nightmare for teams because a player has the contractual power to activate a 12-month extension to stay, even if he isn’t wanted, which puts pressure on a club’s salary-cap position.

Bellamy’s future key to Ryan remaining

JAMES HOOPER

PREMIERS Melbourne have cranked up negotiations to make Clive Churchill medallist Ryan Papenhuyzen one of the highest paid players in the NRL but the gun fullback will seek clarification about the future of supercoach Craig Bellamy before committing long-term.

Papenhuyzen, Cameron Munster and Harry Grant are viewed as the Storm’s newwave answer to the departure of the original “big three” as Melbourne attempt to continue their reign as one of the NRL’s benchmark clubs.

With Papenhuyzen off contract with the Storm at the end of 2022, the future of three-time premiership-winning coach Bellamy will be crucial. The Storm are in the process of trying to convince Bellamy to sign on for one more season as head coach in 2022 before transitioning into a coaching director role for 2023 and beyond.

But the Brisbane Broncos have tabled a massive $1 million per season offer to try to lure Bellamy to Red Hill as they attempt to rebuild the club from last season’s wooden spoon.

The Cronulla Sharks are also at the negotiating table after recently emerging as another surprise contender for the Melbourne Storm coach.

Papenhuyzen, 22, has stamped himself as the NRL’s next $1 million-per-season player after a breakout 2020 season saw him win the Clive Churchill medal in last year’s grand final.

The Storm have ramped up negotiations over the course of the last fortnight to try and extend Papenhuyzen as a long-term Melbourne player.

Will be interesting to see if there is any movement in the Souths squad in the next few months.

1 Like

Xerri eyes return to do right by family

SUSPENDED Sharks star Bronson Xerri hasn’t closed the book on returning to the NRL, although he hasn’t “touched a football” since being banned last year.

The 20-year-old centre was stood down last May after returning a positive test to anabolic steroids. A B sample confirmed his positive result in September.

But Xerri last night said that he was trying to stay resilient and wanted to make his family proud again one day.

“I’m only 20 years old, so whatever time I get, I know I’m going to put my best foot forward,” Xerri (pictured) told Nine News. “I want to make my family proud again.”

Before being stood down, Xerri seemingly had the world at his feet.

He was the Sharks’ rising star in 2019, finished as the league’s 12thhighest tryscorer with 13 from 22 games, including a h a t - t r i c k against the Dragons in round 25 and a double the next week.

Xerri faces a long route back to the game if he does attempt a comeback after being banned for four years.

He has appealed against the provisional four-year ban at the NRL Appeals Tribunal but is yet to learn the outcome.

Xerri can draw inspiration from Sandor Earl, who made his comeback with the Storm in 2018 after he too was banned for four years for using and trafficking a performanceenhancing drug in 2013.

Xerri said the “ban” was on him and had nothing to do with his family.

“This is all on myself and it’s a mistake I did, not my family,” he said. “That was the hardest part, to tell my family and to let them go through what I was going through.”

Xerri didn’t want to go into the specifics of his drug use but instead is trying to focus on his mental health.

“Throughout that period I was very depressed and at home doing nothing,” he said.

“I was just staying home and thinking about everything. It just didn’t seem real to me. I haven’t even watched a game of football yet and I haven’t even touched a football.”

If Su’a wants $800k he can find it somewhere else.

I’m not as moist as some of you lot get over him.

Plenty of potential there - pulls off the occasional big hit - but he hasn’t done a whole lot of anything yet to justify anywhere near that price tag.

2021 is the year Su’a needs to prove his worth. He is 23 and played 60+ NRL games. He ain’t no rookie any more.

10 Likes

Sua is definitely not an 800k forward. 600k tops and I think that is being generous.

1 Like

Ridiculous

Sua is lucky he is even in the side after last week

5 Likes

Agreed

I see way more out of Koala, Arrow and Murray which essentially makes Sua a bench player in the long term

2 Likes