Red-faced rivals snub classy Cody

Red-faced rivals snub classy Cody

CODY Walker did not receive a single offer from an NRL rival before signing a new twoyear deal with South Sydney.

In a stunning snubbing that helped keep him at the Rabbitohs on a bargain deal, Walker re-signed with Souths on $650,000 a year deal after rivals baulked at his asking price of $850,000 a year.

While plenty of clubs “showed interest’’, Walker did not receive a single concrete offer in a staggering missed opportunity for Rabbitohs’ rivals.

Those who thought Walker was not worth $850,000 a year have been left red-faced after his run of form that has the Souths No.6 rivalling Luke Keary and Nathan Cleary as the game’s best playmaker.

Walker would now be considered a steal at $850,000 and would be attracting offers in access of $1 million per season if he was on the market.

Those close to Walker put his form down to the NSW Blues hopeful being happy and distraction-free.

He is one of many players that have benefited from being in a COVID-enforced bubble.

https://metros.smedia.com.au/thedailytelegraph/default.aspx?publication=NCTELE

5 Likes

He’s very well paid and his rivals are well over paid.
Especially Moses.
As good as Walker has been he still needs a very good half next to him to set him up and do all the organising and smart kicking otherwise we would just be relying on backyard footy to get us home every week.

2 Likes

Cody is a steal for what he offers. Richardson had earmarked Douehi for his spot and was publicly rude to him about resigning.
Makes you wonder about all the great judgement calls of our wilderness years. Recruiting now seems to be excellent and players treated well.

5 Likes

Great job by Richo keeping Walker for a steal.

2 Likes

Wayne kept him.

7 Likes

Souths kept him. And for $650k instead of $850k he was asking. Richo caves and we pay for it losing one of our current players.

2 Likes

If it was up to Richo Cody was out the door. Wayne saved him.

3 Likes

Haven’t we put aside $500k a year for 4 yrs for the kid MIA. or was that later. There are kids here playing for unders.
I don’t think it’s smart to hardball publicly someone of Cody’s caliber.
What were they paying Douehi $550 a year with a yearly upgrade of $100k. That’s ridiculous. Poor judgement call. Poor handling.

How did Wayne save him? Did he give him his $850k?

Richo wanted him gone but keep sucking up to him

I’ll ask again, did Wayne give Walker his $850k?

Nope. Richardson didn’t care if he stayed. Wayne told Richardson he wanted him and reassured Cody of his future.
He publicly went on record and said - You don’t lose a player like Cody.
That’s how he saved him .

7 Likes

Yep Richardson was going to pay Douehi 650k hahahha Douehi garbage footballer.

2 Likes

Well done Wayne. Played his part in retaining Walker by reassuring him he wanted him. But we did not have to pay him $850k. That was a great result for us. Well done Richo.

1 Like

That was a mean and stupid call by Richardson.

So which of our players do you wish gone now so Walker can have an extra $200k per year?
Which of our other players do you want to be “mean” to?

Not saying an extra $200k. A $50k upgrade would acknowledge his talent, instinct and competitiveness.
I will say Suuali’s $500 k a yr for a 17 yr old whose not jumping at the chance to be here would he well spent keeping a team of young players who are playing us into the Preliminary Finals.

V

1 Like

Richo is gone and is not responsible for the current negotiation with Suaalii.

Suaalii has been in our system for a few years. Sam Burgess has spoken about him glowingly. As have some other respected individuals.
If Suaalii goes he goes. We move on. There are no guarantees but if he is as good as what people like Sam are saying then the money we have offered won’t be unreasonable. The club hasn’t caved to his demands.
But we have gotten off topic. There’s already enough Suaalii talk in other threads.

You forgot to delete your post

2 Likes

One of the mods begged me not to delete them. Said my posts are exceptional quality and deleting them deprives many Warreners the privilege of reading them. Or did he call me a dickhead and said deleting them is a pain because he has to open them to check if contents breach forum rules? :thinking: Can’t quite remember.

3 Likes