Rabbitohs eye Anthony Milford, Broncos keen on Dane Gagai

Rabbitohs eye Anthony Milford, Broncos keen on Dane Gagai

Anthony Milford now has four clubs chasing his signature but his future hinges on Souths’ battle to retain Dane Gagai.

Peter BadelPeter BadelExclusive

Follow

@badel_cmail

7 min read

July 21, 2021 - 1:06PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Wayne Bennett says Souths will consider throwing a lifeline to unwanted Bronco Anthony Milford as the Rabbitohs face a poaching threat from Brisbane for Queensland Origin star Dane Gagai.

News Corp understands the Rabbitohs are open to the idea of signing Milford, but his possible shift from Red Hill to Redfern hinges on South Sydney’s battle to retain Maroons flyer Gagai.

With the NRL finals on the horizon, Gagai remains off-contract and it is understood the Rabbitohs are considering beefing-up their original 12-month offer to two years to keep the 30-year-old at Redfern.

But the prospect of Gagai defecting to the Broncos, coupled with Benji Marshall inching towards retirement, would give the Rabbitohs the funds to make a play for besieged Broncos playmaker Milford.

Wayne Bennett embraces Anthony Milford during their time at the Broncos (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)

Wayne Bennett embraces Anthony Milford during their time at the Broncos (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)

With Parramatta’s interest in Milford cooling, the Rabbitohs shape as a frontline contender for his signature given the $1 million man’s history with Bennett’s successor Jason Demetriou, who worked with the five-eighth at Brisbane.

Former Broncos assistant Demetriou will back himself to get Milford firing again and Bennett believes the Rabbitohs could be a good fit for the former Queensland Origin utility.

“I don’t know where ‘Milf’ will end up, but Jason is pretty close to Anthony,” said Bennett, who will pass the Souths coaching baton to Demetriou at season’s end.

“Jason likes him and has worked with him so there might be an opportunity here (for Milford).

“Jason would be happy to have him at the club, but I don’t know what Milf is chasing and how much money the club has left in the cap.

“Jason knows Milf can play and they worked well together at the Broncos, but it depends on Souths — they might have other plans around their halfback because I won’t be there next year.”

Rabbitohs head coach Wayne Bennett (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Rabbitohs head coach Wayne Bennett (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Souths are already losing first-choice halfback Adam Reynolds to the Broncos next season and the Rabbitohs could suffer a further scrumbase blow if the 36-year-old Marshall decides to retire.

Whether Milford partners Souths maestro Cody Walker in the halves in 2022 could hinge on Gagai’s next move.

The Broncos have expressed interest in Gagai, but have yet to table a formal offer due to salary-cap restrictions.

The Rabbitohs have offered Gagai a one-year deal worth around $450,000, but it is understood Brisbane may struggle to pay more than $400,000 for the Origin centre, who debuted at the Broncos in 2011.

“Dane is a player that remains on our radar, but at this point in time we are not in a position to table anything for him,” Broncos football boss Ben Ikin said.

“It will be a wait-and-see scenario. It depends what we can afford.”

Anthony Milford during Brisbane Broncos training at Red Hill. Picture: Liam Kidston

Anthony Milford during Brisbane Broncos training at Red Hill. Picture: Liam Kidston

Milford, a veteran of 189 games who turned 27 a fortnight ago, says he is prepared to move to Sydney if the Rabbitohs are keen.

“I’ve got two young girls so my family comes first now — I will go wherever I need to for them and what best suits my football,” he said.

“I honestly believe I have more in me.

“I’m only 27. I know the hunger and the passion is there. I still love playing the game so hopefully a fresh start can be good for me.”

1 Like

Barely pfffft.

Surely Bennett is stitching Souths up. We lose an Origin centre and a potential Australian rep for a dud. C’mon boys, get on the Wayne train, it’s headed North…who’s on it? We might as well keep Benji. Fuck off Milford you’re not welcome.

9 Likes

This is fricken madness. Gags has been great for us and Milford is a numpty.
Makes no sense and I will be pissed if we go forward with this idea.

7 Likes

With Su A going and perhaps Gags, at the start of the year we should have told them to look elsewhere and then used their money to get JAC

Why the fcuk would we let go of Reynolds to get one of the worst halves in the comp in Milf.

Someone somewhere has stuffed up big time.

4 Likes

Walker: Hey Milf go back to reserve grade.

1 Like

If Badel says it then it shows it is incorrect. That’s his track record i.e. GI to Brisbane etc etc…

1 Like

Reynolds is very good at getting repeat sets and kicking goals.

Reynolds ain’t as good at try assists.

Bring in Blake.

1 Like

“Someone somewhere has stuffed up big time.”

I think we have established that already. It’s now about fixing the damage.
Personally I think we should back the halves we have and keep some cash in reserve for a player to become available in early 2022. They always do.

2 Likes

Kill me now!!

are you being ironic again?

Not this year. Only 6 for the season.

1 Like

Milford to Souths?
No chance!

The media are just doing what they always do…
Pissing off the Souths fans!

In 2012 when Sandow went to the Eels, all of our fans thought the sky was falling.
In came a bloke with no First-Grade experience, he hadn’t even played in a single Reggies game.
His name was Adam Reynolds, a total unknown to 95% of fans.
The theory back then was, he will be fine as he had an experienced 5/8 with him named John Sutton.

It is exactly the same, we have this kid, Blake Taaffe who unlike Reynolds he did actually win his U20s Grand Final. Reynolds lost his!
This kid can play, this kid has no fear.
He has played in our Reggies and also in First Grade.
We all know this kid will succeed.
OH, he has this bloke named Cody Walker to help him along!

Lachlan Ilias is another kid on the way through!

13 Likes

I’m sure Souths have a succession plan in mind with the next gen 6. Rumours of Milf, Taylor, Johnson and god knows the other duds being connected to this club merely adds to the distraction. I just hope it doesn’t effect or interfere with the progress of our youngsters. It’s the Rabbitohs Pathways not Detours.

1 Like

Taffe is certainly an exciting prospect and if he achieves as much as Reno we will have cause to rejoice , especially as Reno was the first HB in over 40 years to guide us to an actual GF win plus 6 Preliminary Finals appearances where we had 1 PF appearance in plus 40 years previously.

Really looking to Taffe flourish and as you say we have Cody alongside to support .

Good times ahead :+1:

2 Likes

Rumour circulating that Gags is going to Knights for a three year deal. Just sayin’

1 Like

Confirmed in the Daily Telegraph this arvo.
WTF is going on…Reynolds, Su’A, Gags…Wayen’s leaving us in a mess.

1 Like

Have I heard that somewhere before?

Those brothers are fucking us up!

He’s not R & R. He’s leaving. These calls are Ello and JD’s.