Keaon Koloamatagi Extends until end of 2023 Season

Email came in from the club.

13 Likes

17 Likes

Great news

6 Likes

Rabbitohs extend contract of Keaon Koloamatangi until at least the end of the 2023 season
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Mon 23 Nov 2020, 03:10 PM

I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths. - Keaon Koloamatangi

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce the contract extension of young forward Keaon Koloamatangi until at least the end of the 2023 Season.

Koloamatangi, 22, has played 14 NRL matches since making his NRL debut against the Melbourne Storm in round four, 2020.

Koloamatangi, a South Sydney junior from the Mascot Jets club, won the John Sattler Rookie of the Year award for the Rabbitohs in 2020 and will be looking to progress his game further over the next three years according to Rabbitohs Head of Football, Mark Ellison.

“Keaon is a very exciting, young talent and we’re very happy to have him on board long term,” Mr Ellison said.

“One of the highlights of 2020 was seeing him make his debut and, more importantly, work hard to maintain his spot in the top 17 over the rest of the season.

“Keaon is a fine young man from a great family, is a proud product of the South Sydney Juniors system, and we’re really excited to see him progress to greater things throughout his career in the red and green.”

Koloamatangi is excited about the seasons ahead at South Sydney.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted. I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths,” Koloamatangi said.

“I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and a better person.

“I also want to thank our Members who are the most passionate and vocal Members in the competition. I can’t wait to play in front of you all and represent you again next year.”

BIOGRAPHY
Name: Keaon Koloamatangi
Date of Birth: 23 May 1998
Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
Position: Utility Forward
Height: 191cm
Weight: 106kg
Junior Club: Mascot Jets
NRL Games: 14 (all for the Rabbitohs)
NRL Debut: Rabbitohs vs Storm, AAMI Park, 5 June 2020 (Rd 4)
Rep Honours: NSW Residents (2019); NSW under 18s (2016)
Awards: John Sattler Rookie of the Year award (2020)

15 Likes

Will be a one of the best front rowers or back rowers in the game in a couple of years.

12 Likes

100% I am so pleased by this news.

5 Likes

NRL signing news: South Sydney re-sign Keaon Koloamatangi; Latrell Mitchell, Tevita Tatola
South’s rookie of the year has rejected outside interest to remain at Redfern for next three years as the club turns its attention to two big names.
Dean Ritchie
November 23, 2020 - 3:15PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

He is South Sydney’s reigning rookie of the year who has now committed to the club long-term.

Rising forward Keaon Koloamatangi – already under contract for next season - has now signed a new two-year deal keeping him at Redfern until the end of 2023.

A Mascot Jets junior, Koloamatangi, 22, has played 14 NRL matches since making his debut against Melbourne Storm in round four this season. He is deemed a star of the future.

“I’m really happy to have my contract sorted. I don’t really see myself playing anywhere else. My heart is here at Souths,” Koloamatangi said.

“I love the boys and the staff here and I feel that we can do something special in the next couple of years.

“It’s an amazing team we have here and the competition for spots in the forwards will help me improve my game, as well as make me a better player and better person.”

Rabbitohs head of football, Mark Ellison, said Koloamatangi worked tirelessly to not only make his debut but then retain his place in the top side for the rest of the season.

“Keaon is a very exciting, young talent and we’re very happy to have him on board long term,” Ellison said. “One of the highlights of 2020 was seeing him make his debut and, more importantly, work hard to maintain his spot in the top 17 over the rest of the season.”

Koloamatangi’s retention comes as Souths kickstart formal contract negotiations with prop Junior Tatola while also closing in a new deal with star fullback Latrell Mitchell.

Ellison and Tatola’s manager, Isaac Moses, are in talks about extending for another two to three years. Discussed this year as a possible NSW bolter, Tatola is currently under contract at Redfern until the end of next season.

Auburn-born Tatola enjoyed a breakout season, playing 21 games this year and averaging 13 runs a game for 106 metres and 23 tackles.

Talks also continue between Souths and Mitchell’s manager, Matt Rose.

Like Tatola, Mitchell comes off after next year and is looking at a new deal spanning either two or three seasons.

Once the Mitchell deal is nailed down, Souths are then expected to release rising rugby union star Joseph Suaalii to the Sydney Roosters.

Suaalii was on a development contract with Souths for 2021. His commitments with the club were minimal next year given Souths were allowing him considerable time to complete Year 12 studies.

Rugby union’s interest in Suaalii is also understood to have waned. Suaalii was expected to sign a deal at Bondi from 2022 but that deal now looks certain to be brought forward by a year.

4 Likes

Excellent news. Keaon is a souths boy and is a bloody good young forward. Just need Su’a, Tatola and Latrell to follow!

7 Likes

Credit @Pablo told us about this a few days ago

6 Likes

Great news. Congrats Keaon & SSFC!

3 Likes

Like Cam Murray another player that bleeds red AND green. Great news. Cornerstone of a couple more premierships. I’m excited about 2021 and 2022.

4 Likes

Told ya’s this was imminent!

MattyB strikes again!!! :star_struck:

Awesome News

1 Like

MattyBitcoin strikes again!

1 Like

Next up.

• Latrell Mitchell
  • Junior Tatola
  • Jaydn Su’A

That’s some big boy moves right there!

4 Likes

big thicc bois

You da man matty. Like who else saw that coming?

5 Likes

Dean Ritchie this time finding a way to write Suaalii into this piece when he’s got nothing to do with it. And the message - which is being repeated in other articles - is that the obvious thing for Souths to do is release Suaalii.
To me what is obvious is that they are applying subtle pressure on Souths to release Suaalii and setting up to attack the club if we refuse.

2 Likes

And by some reports the first two of these are all but done. Happy days.

1/100