James Roberts could be surplus to Rabbitohs requirements in 2021

James Roberts could be surplus to Rabbitohs requirements in 2021

WRITTEN BY ED CHISHOLM

Former Origin star James Roberts could be made the victim of salary cap pressure and forced out of South Sydney as the club looks to lock in Latrell Mitchell long-term.

The outstanding form of Corey Allan, Campbell Graham and Alex Johnston in Roberts and Mitchell’s absence this season leaves the Rabbitohs with a surplus of outside back options in 2021.

While The Australian 's Brent Read reports the club are in advance talks with Mitchell about extending his stay at Redfern, with the representative star set to become a free agent on November 1.

It’s a move that could see Roberts offered around to rival clubs as the Rabbitohs look to shed some salary-cap space, with Queensland forward Jai Arrow also due to arrive next season.

“Souths were keen to tie [Mitchell] down and lock him away. I’m hearing it’s a two-year deal, that’s what they hope, because on November 1 he becomes a free-agent and clubs can start talking to him. Souths are keen to kick that off,” Read told Triple M 's Rush Hour.

"The interesting part is that if they sign Latrell they’ve got a bucketload of outside backs particular if they keep Joseph Sualli, they’re able to convince him to stay. Something’s going to have to give.

“The name I’m hearing is maybe James Roberts is the guy who heads back to open market. He’s only got a year left on his deal James and that’s the name I’m hearing.”

Roberts was brought to the club midway through the 2019 season by Wayne Bennett after an unhappy stint in Broncos, with the pair reuniting after forming a strong bond from their time together in Brisbane.

However, Roberts has only managed 18 games for the Rabbitohs since his arrival, with his time in South Sydney not without its dramas.

Roberts was struck down by a pectoral injury in July and ruled out for the year, with the likes of Graham and Allan starring in his absence and proving a crucial part of Bennett’s backline.

“They’ve got so many outside backs and the way Corey Allan’s going, Campbell Graham, and they’ve kept Alex Johnston now,” Read added.

"They’ve got a million outside backs and you can’t keep them all.

“Wayne’s been a pretty staunch supporter of him. I don’t know where Jason Demetriou sits on him I haven’t checked that out, but Jason will be in charge in 12 months’ time, not Wayne,”

Penrith Panthers great Mark Geyer admitted Roberts’ injury woes would almost leave the Rabbitohs with no choice given the form of some of their other backline options.

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” Geyer said on Triple M of the Roberts rumours.

“Basically you’re only as good as your last game and I can’t even remember with Jimmy the Jet’s last game was, he’s very injury-prone.”

1 Like

Yeah that’s bullshit. Jimmy going nowhere and doesn’t want to go nowhere. I have how the media say “I hear” and post a mainstream headline on things. They need to piss off.

9 Likes

I wish they would completely. Wild speculation , no facts and players freaked out. I think journalism is close to being the lowest profession.
Hit man or Conservative politician probably the lowest.
Oh just heard they are taking Trump to a Military hospital after having been treated with an experimental drug that lowers the symptoms.
What next. This has been a wild year.

1 Like

yawn

a fit and firing Jet brings something no other center in the game brings

he wont be shopped anywhere

1 Like

What does he bring?

1 Like

And the negative pressure from the media just gets bigger. Fug I hope the club is circling the wagons and adopting a siege mentality. Fuck em all let’s win this thing!!!

4 Likes

Gags will be gone before the Jet

1 Like

How about a story how the Rorters have lost the last 2 games & conceded 89 points in the process.

Don’t forget to mention that Robinson has lost the dressing room, SBW has divided the team & the players are openly arguing on the field…

11 Likes

Both of them should go because rumour has Nicholls wants and needs 2 mil a year

8 Likes

I reckon Reid has got that straight out of one of our threads.

He has absolutely no info on the subject because there is no subject.

Roberts is here next year and how he goes will depend on how long he stays here.

If he hits top form with Reyno, Walker and Mitchell/Allan playing he will be as potent as any centre in the comp.

He just needs a good off season, and get away to a good start to the year with no niggles and put together a good 5 or 6 games and then hopefully stay injury free and the Jet will be back flying.

3 Likes

Hees been useless at every club hes been at ,cash him in and put the 100 bux on the bar.

1 Like

The jet was a stupid purchase. We’re super lucky that Campell Graham stepped up.

3 Likes

Fake news. Jet going nowhere.

2 Likes

Off topic I know but maybe now’s a good time for Trump to try the injected bleach cure for Covid to see if it really works. :grinning:

2 Likes

Jet might want to follow Wayne out at end of next season anyway.

I don’t think Roberts will be with us next year with what he has shown since his return it wouldn’t be a great loss.

2 Likes

Thanks Harry Hindsight.

Grabbing a bloke who had the year before been the NSW origin centre at unders might have seemed like a good idea at the time. Particularly when you and others have been shittbagging Gagai since the day he got here not to mention the flak Burns cops. Some on here were even continual baggers of Campbell Graham which frankly astounds me.

Solly knew Covid was coming and that Roberts was going to do his pec and miss the finals the way you carry on.

Allan is going to replace Mitchell on the back of one breakout game after basically 90% of people thought he was a plodder including me. Now we must keep him.

Paulo and Masters were champions in the making for two weeks and now they are too slow for first grade.

4 Likes

He might be a good swap offering for JAC. Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind seeing James given a chance to play on the wing at Souths.

1 Like

I can’t see Roberts wanting to move to Melb.

1 Like

Has there ever been such a vile,putrid low life group of maggots than journalists?

6 Likes