In Memoriam: Diego Maradona Has Died At The Age Of 60

4 Likes

Had the privilege of seeing play for Napoli in Italy and against the Socceroos, they talk about Ronaldo and Messi but they are way behind players like Pele, di Stefano and Maradona. These players changed and won games by their skill and involvement including World Cups. Maradona owned the 1986 World Cup.

2 Likes

He can shake the hand of God now.
RIP Diego

1 Like

Unbelievable
Reminiscent of Billy Slater’s chip over the top to score in SOO :wink:
R.I.P Diego

Who do you think was the better player, Diego Maradona or George Best?

I’m no soccer fan, but in recent times I’ve watched documentaries on George Best and been astounded by what he could do with heavy leather balls on muddy pitches against “chop men” who were allowed to take out players legs. The guy was a freak of nature.

2 Likes

What I like about this clip is cool composure of the commentator.

1 Like
3 Likes

You should hear him when he get’s excited

1 Like

Don’t do drugs kids

Maradona, Best was not even close

Maradona was not only skillful but he was as a strong bastard.

Best player I have seen.

1 Like

I love my soccer and never comfortable with the renaming of the game ‘football’
Socceroos for me!.

Diego Maradona was a good player. Getting chopped, dribbling the heavier ball in long grass etc. From a poor family another ‘rags to riches’. I’m happy that I remember the fella for the soccer player he was. You had to be skilful back then to get into a team. Today it’s about pace, height, what gimmick you have or how wide the GK’s handspan should be before consideration for the first training session.
Bring back real soccer; I still live and die for the Australian Socceroos and Captain Johnny Warren; let us bring the world cup to our shores- we can do it.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Yep he was up there with me .

Maradona was like the Aryton Senna of the Soccer field.
He was an incredible freaky soccer player.

Boo Bailey tribute cartoon.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Sad that such gifted players die from substance abuse.
Maybe that was the good old days.

Agree.

I know in Best’s case, he said that he got bored with soccer, probably because he was so much better than everyone else around that it ceased to become a challenge. So he went looking for other kicks, which unfortunately in the form of alcohol, he couldn’t kick.

When you look at what George Best did with the ball at his peak, you can’t help but wonder what he might have done with lighter balls, much better playing surfaces and more protection from referees against indiscriminate tacklers, that all players now enjoy in the modern era.

1 Like

He has been cremated.

Five goals that turned Maradona into the greatest

‘GOAL OF THE CENTURY’

The solo goal against which all solo goals will be judged.

Named the “Goal of the Century” by FIFA in 2002, Maradona’s high-speed slalom in Mexico in 1986 ended England’s World Cup and cemented his position as the world’s best footballer.

Maradona barely deviates from his path towards goal the moment he spins free in midfield, with a few drops of the shoulder enough to embarrass England for the second time in the space of five minutes.

“Diego assures me that he meant to pass to me several times but there was always some obstacle that forced him to change plans,” striker Jorge Valdano said later.

THE ‘DIVINE FREE-KICK’

Nicknamed the “divine freekick” in Italy, Maradona’s iconic winning goal for Napoli in the November 1985 home clash with Michel Platini’s Juventus, reigning European champions, was the one that created his legend in Naples.

Standing over an indirect free-kick well inside the penalty area, legend has it that Maradona asked midfielder Eraldo Pecci to roll him the ball for a shot despite the closeness of the Juventus wall. He flicked a stupendous effort over them into the Juve goal.

‘EL PIBE’ VOLLEYS

Few goals match the sheer nonchalance of his outrageous lob in a 5-0 win over reigning Serie A champions Hellas Verona in October 1985.

Collecting a long pass with his back to goal on the left flank, Maradona took a step and clipped a looping shot towards goal that gently faded off the left post as the keeper realised — too late — that he was about to be humiliated.

BAMBOOZLED BELGIUM

In the 1986 World Cup semifinal against Belgium, Maradona, picked the ball up on the edge of midfield he sends three defenders packing with one shimmy which allowed him to charge into the penalty area. He takes the ball and defender Eric Geretsto to the left before cutting his shot back across keeper Jean-Marie Pfaff, who can only sit on his backside as a fierce drive flashes past him.

DERBY DESTRUCTION

In November 1981 Maradona, a lifelong Boca Juniors fan, lit up River Plate’s Monumental stadium with the sort of vision that took him to the very top of the game, somehow scoring from a tight angle on the left flank with nothing on and barely any gap in which to squeeze the ball.

2 Likes