Dean Hawkins

Who can tell me about Dean. Has anyone got videos of his style of play and what will he bring to our team.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Dean is very similar to Reno at the same age. He is an organiser and has a solid kicking and passing game. Going to be interesting how we use him on the weekend. I think that DH will be a good first grader if given time. Big opportunity for him this week.

9 Likes

There are some videos below his profile.

2 Likes

Some footage of young Dean Hawkins

2 Likes

Official Knock On Effect NSW Cup profile of Dean Hawkins for South Sydney Rabbitohs NSW Cup - Rabbitohs

2 Likes

If he can play like that consistently he looks to have the skill set needed

1 Like

He plays on the right .

I can already see the headlines if he comes on to replace Reynolds.

Everyone is expecting him to replace Benji, but logically you would think he would come on playing the halfback role.

2 Likes

Hawkins Swoops on Childhood Dream
Nicholas Janzen
Fri 20 Apr 2018, 04:18 PM

South Sydney need not look too far ahead in the search for the next Adam Reynolds.

The Rabbitohs’ next superstar halfback is already leading teams to memorable victories.

In Round 6 of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW competition, teenage halfback Dean Hawkins kicked his North Sydney Bears side to a thrilling one-point victory. And, according to the man himself, that is just the beginning.

“[The goal is] to play for South Sydney then hopefully continue on to Origin and Australia – that’s the dream,” Hawkins, who was instrumental in the come-from-behind win, tells NSWRL.com.au.

“I just turned 19 in March, grew up in the South Sydney area and played in the juniors so I’m still young.

“I got the privilege to train with first grade in the pre-season and Round 1 there were a few injuries and I got my opportunity (for North Sydney).

“Adam Reynolds taught me a lot in the pre-season, I’m just trying to follow his footsteps.”

On the Bears Old Boys’ Day it was Hawkins who ultimately proved the difference. The former South Sydney Harold Matthews, SG Ball and under-20s star expertly guided his team around the paddock, kicking four goals including a late penalty before potting the match-winning field goal with just seconds remaining. He predicts that victory is simply a sign of things to come for the Bears.

“It was very tough, a good crowd here and they got behind us and got us home,” Hawkins says.

“I don’t know too much [about the North Sydney history] but I know it’s a proud club and I’m privileged to play here.

“We’ve got a very talented squad and hopefully we can make the grand final.

“We can go all the way.”

Watch video

Hawkins Swoops on Childhood Dream - NSWRL

5 Likes

3 Likes

Can’t believe he hurt himself

1 Like

I doubt he would have been playing next week anyway in FG, but decent 14 mins on field.

2 Likes

Especially while mucking around with mates.

He did during the game, unless it was in the change room, Bennett mentions it in his post match interview.

Played OK but I feel the same way about Dargan. Not sure I saw anything that really stood out in his 14 mins of game time. Early days I guess.

4 Likes

He did well, but won’t be ahead of a fit Taffe or Illias.
May make for a good hooker. 2’nd grader at best.

A couple of decent bombs, decent 40/20 chance with a good chase after it, it is hard with such limited time.

2 Likes

South Sydney Rabbitohs debutant Dean Hawkins requires 15 stitches following post-game mishap

WRITTEN BY LIAM O’LOUGHLIN

An NRL debut is what most kids dream of, and on Thursday night, local junior Dean Hawkins achieved that very dream.

Hawkins played the final 15 minutes for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in their win over the Brisbane Broncos, coming on in the halves as Benji Marshall shifted to hooker.

He was cheered on by a large group of mates from the Matraville Tigers, all donning the jerseys of Hawkins’ junior club.

After the game, the 22-year old strolled over to see his mates - and moments later, returned to the sheds with a huge gash in his leg that required 15 stitches.

Sources close to Hawkins confirmed on Friday morning that he tried to ‘crowd surf’ the group of mates, but slipped and subsequently cut his leg on the railing area.

The playmaker isn’t expected to be in first grade next week, with star No.6 Cody Walker set to return from suspension, but will likely be unavailable for NSW Cup duties as well.

2 Likes

Ouch what the hell, how can a hand railing be so sharp???

4 Likes
2 Likes

Except getting carried away and injuring yourself

2 Likes