Changes made to the NRL Bunker


NRL drops down to one bunker official following Roosters howler
By Marc Churches

The NRL has officially made changes to the bunker’s decision-making process following a weekend of controversy after Roosters prop Lindsay Collins was denied a try against Newcastle.

Despite the Roosters thrashing the Knights 42-12 on Saturday night, many were left questioning why the bunker in the second half denied what appeared to be a certain try to Collins.

The bunker ruled no-try after Nat Butcher was deemed to have obstructed Newcastle defenders after playing the ball despite standing still and not moving from where the ball was played, as Collins muscled his way over the try-line.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley at his weekly football briefing yesterday admitted the decision was a clear “error”, after bunker officials Jared Maxwell and Beau Scott had a difference of opinions on what the call should’ve been.

A day later and action has officially been made to rectify the NRL bunker’s decision-making process, effective immediately.

In a statement released this afternoon Annesley revealed the NRL had introduced a procedural change, with the bunker dropping down from two officials to just one starting from Round 19.

“Earlier this year the change from two on-field referees to one has simplified officiating, resulting in a high standard being maintained so far this season. Referees have demonstrated increased confidence to make their own decisions,” Annesley said.

"Similarly, by reducing the number of people involved in the review process, we feel Bunker officials will also feel more confident in making decisions without consultation, thereby avoiding potential conflicting views or doubt that may on occasions be created by the involvement of a second review official.

"Importantly though, these changes will be invisible to our clubs and fans on game day. The primary expectation of everyone involved in the game is to see the Bunker make prompt, accurate decisions. They have no interest in what happens behind the scenes so they will notice no difference during games other than what we believe will be improved decision-making.

“Along with all other aspects of officiating and football-related matters, these changes will be reviewed at the end of the season for further Commission input and approval.”

1 Like

Unbelievable. We’ve had tries disallowed that have been admitted to later as the wrong decision. in Annersley report and nothing. Easts have one. Sack the official. Overhaul the system. It beggars belief. Money and power speaks all languages.

9 Likes

It’s amazing and unbelievable, this will now show up the bunker where they no longer can be bias.

2 Likes

Agree, I thought the same. V’landys… ummm is he showing true colours. Not good form after the Money Bill exemption.

2 Likes

You think normal transmission is being resumed.

1 Like

What about this howler…

What about this howler…

1 Like

I have no problem with changes being made… But why now? Why not review after seasons end? Certainly not a good look using Roosters as the catalyst. Many teams this year have had poor bunker decisions and not lead to such a dramatic change.

1 Like

Was also my initial thought!

2 Likes

We had a blatant forward pass ruin our chances of beating the Storm a couple of weeks ago and nothing said. If that happened to the Roosters in a Finals game there would be hell to pay. Unfortunately whilst Politis is upright and breathing the Roosters will continue to receive preferential treatment.

2 Likes

This is the part I don’t understand why?

They offer nothing in return or value to the nrl

If the Bunker could rule on forward passes it would eliminate 80% of the controversy, or a team can challenge the forward pass using a captain’s challenge.

1 Like

Yep just when it matters at the business end of the season

Where changes now can wait till Nov

2 Likes