Cathy Freeman documentary

I watched the Cathy Freeman documentary on the ABC last night and I’d highly recommend it (still available on iView). With the 20-year anniversary of the Sydney Olympics starting tomorrow, it’s a great retrospective on one of Australia’s greatest moments (sporting and otherwise), Freeman’s gold medal race in 2000.

I must confess to finding the Olympic retrospectives a little bittersweet. Sydney 2000 was possibly the last great global expression of joy (remembering that Tampa and 9/11 came along the following year, ushering in the 20-year shit show we’ve endured since then). Hopefully the memories will remind the world of what is possible.

6 Likes

Really? Are you that miserable?

3 Likes

Wish you would go back to where you came from.

2 Likes

Perhaps, though one might hope that Freeman’s moment was so transcendent that it might even win over the grumps (white or otherwise).

1 Like

Loved the race and the times boys but just cannot help having a swipe against the PC world we live in occaisonally

I’m not so sure slurring an Olympic champion with drug implications is quite the same as having a go at perceived notions of political correctness, but whatever. Not sure it was the right moment to lay out your political inclinations.

2 Likes

I’ll watch it on iview later.

Have you seen Cathy with Julia Zemiro it show her story of growing up its very good.

2 Likes

Didn’t Madge bring her to the club to talk to the team about her race in the Olympics for motivation just before the Grand Final.
I think she told them to go out and know that their time had come because when she went out and looked around she knew her time had come.
She also said GI was not aware of how good an athlete he was.

4 Likes

I just saw this & have dealt with it GT.

1 Like

Great doco. Great moment in sport.
And so glad it was an aboriginal women who brought the nation to a stand still.

7 Likes

Indeed MB. A was very fortunate to see it from the western stand directly above the finish line on the night. It is something I will never forget.

2 Likes

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Can still feel the electricity so many years later.

2 Likes

Lucky bastard :laughing:

You only find it PC because you’re sadly so cynical, that you look at everything that way to find things to attack

1 Like

Cathy Freeman’s gold medal performance at the Sydney Olympic Games was a truly iconic moment in Australian sport. Both my wife and I were privileged to be at the stadium to witness it. I’ll never forget the roar that erupted in that stadium when the race started and reached a crescendo as she took the lead in the home straight. My wife rates it her number one sporting highlight; I put it alongside Souths 2014 Grand Final victory.

6 Likes

It was a great doco & Cathy was a champion athlete & is a champion person. Very inspiration both to indigenous & non-indigenous Australians. She did a great deal to help race relations in Australia through her natural ability & her attitude. All power to her!

2 Likes

I wasn’t there but I’ll never forget that moment. Spectacular!

2 Likes

I was actually overseas (Europe) for the Sydney Olympics, but it was still amazing from afar - it’s quite something to see your home town as the centre of the world. I watched Freeman’s win at my sister’s place in Ireland. There were cheers and tears there too!

1 Like

Wow… just wow.

Get onto iview ABC if you have not watched this documentary.

She is just soooooo natural… what a legend

3 Likes

For those interested: