Bookmakers tip Bulldogs for NRL wooden spoon

Bookmakers tip Bulldogs for NRL wooden spoon

New coach, new star, but no hope — the TAB has issued its first betting market on the 2021 wooden spoon and it’s bad reading for fans of one NRL club.

Phil Rothfield

November 21, 2020 - 6:00PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom35 comments

Bookmakers have little faith in recently appointed coaches Trent Barrett, Kevin Walters and Anthony Griffin lifting their clubs above the premiership cellar next season.

The TAB has issued its first betting market on the wooden spoon (most losses) for 2021, with Canterbury Bulldogs favourites at $4 from the Broncos and St George Illawarra both at $5.

Despite hiring Barrett and new chief playmaker Kyle Flanagan from Sydney Roosters, the Bulldogs are expected to show little improvement, according to the TAB.

The Belmore club finished last season with just three wins.

Trent Barrett’s arrival won’t be enough to turn the Bulldogs around straight away, according to the bookies.

Trent Barrett’s arrival won’t be enough to turn the Bulldogs around straight away, according to the bookies.

The Broncos finished with the wooden spoon last season after opening as an $81 chance to get the game’s most dreaded prize. They are now their shortest quote ever before the start of the season to finish on the bottom.

If anything, the Broncos roster is in worse shape than last season without both David Fifita and Jack Bird.

They are relying on Walters to reinvigorate the roster with his renowned passion.

At the Bulldogs, Barrett says he is not concerned by the TAB’s assessment of his footy team.

“They’re entitled to their opinion,” Barrett said.

The Broncos could be in for another tough year. Picture: Getty Images

“We’re confident that we can improve from last year. After being there a week, whilst knowing we have a lot of work in 14 weeks to get ready, one thing I know is we won’t get beaten on effort.”

This time last year, Gold Coast Titans were $3.50 favourites for the spoon, but are now a $26 chance on the back of five straight wins to finish last season and the recruitment of gun forwards David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

TAB ODDS FOR MOST NRL LOSSES IN 2021

Canterbury $4 ($4 in 2020)

Brisbane $5 ($81 in 2020)

St George Illawarra $5 ($8 in 2020)

Wests Tigers $11 ($10 in 2020)

Cronulla $13 ($10 in 2020)

North Queensland $13 ($34 in 2020)

NZ Warriors $13 ($3.75 in 2020)

Newcastle $21 ($26 in 2020)

Gold Coast $26 ($3.50 in 2020)

Manly $26 ($67 in 2020)

Parramatta $34 ($101 in 2020)

Canberra $41 ($101 in 2020)

Melbourne $51 ($151 in 2020)

Souths $51 ($51 in 2020)

Sydney Roosters $67 ($81 in 2020)

Penrith $101 ($41 in 2020)

Tigers for the spoon. Maguire to be punted, but laughing with a twelve month pay out.

1 Like

I’ll lay my balls on it that the dogs don’t get the spoon this year.

2 Likes

Make your eyes water if you lose.

3 Likes

Easts to miss top 8 next year. Get on it.

1 Like

Wests Tigers for the spoon imo. Bulldogs to improve to about 10th. Titans to impress early in the season but wither poorly as the comp wears on.

1 Like

I almost feel sorry for the Tigers. They just cannot take a trick. They cannot get players to come to the club and stars just want to get out.

I don’t think Tigers will be wooden spoon.

Brisbane and Canterbury are your best bets IMO. Neither have improved their roster or coaching staff.

Don’t write off the Dragons for the spoon. They have been shit for a while and lose their best forward Frizell. The only footy Jack DeBellend will be playing will be in prison greens. Plus they have the worst halfback in the comp in Ben Hunt. They are a basket case of a club.

2 Likes

ok ! and i`m sharpening my knife .

Thats funny, Bulldogs to finish 10th. Can you even name their 1,6,7 and 9? How do they stack up vs the rest of the comp? Id love some of what you are smoking thanks

Get your own

Thad will be shattered.

Would be more than happy to see the broncos get the spoon again

I love this sort of journalism… :man_shrugging: Isn’t this just the premiership favouritism chart in reverse?

Or is the premiership favoritism market just the spoon market in reverse? That is something to think about.

1 Like

Correct & then lets rehash it by putting a TAB on who’s going to score the least tries? My bet is the wooden spooner will score the least tries, unless of course they have a really good goal kicker & get lots of penalties within kicking range.