Adam Reynolds and South Sydney Rabbitohs 'not on the same page' over new contract

Adam Reynolds and South Sydney Rabbitohs ‘not on the same page’ over new contract

WRITTEN BY TOM NAGHTEN

South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds revealed he and the club are currently ‘not on the same page’ over his contract negotiations.

Reynolds is out of contract at season’s end and is in search of a longer team deal with the Rabbitohs.

Now club captain, Reynolds has played all 206 of his NRL games in red and green, but either he or the club will need to change their position for that to continue beyond 2021.

“It would be ideal (to stay at Souths). But in saying that, it’s probably a long way from happening at the moment,” Reynolds told Sporting News .

"We’ve started negotiations but we’re not right on the same page at the moment.

"I’d like to play for another three or four years. I’d like to sign for three years.

"I don’t really want to sign a couple of contracts towards the back end of my career. I’d like that bit of security.

“It’s something that we’re sorting out at the moment and hopefully we can come to a conclusion.”

While Reynolds conceded his contract situation was a concern, he’s confident it won’t impact his performance on the park.

“It’s always on the mind but it won’t affect any sort of footy that’s being played,” he added.

“Obviously you’ve got worry about your future, it’s in the background, we’re sorting through it at the moment but we’re still a long way from getting things done.”

Reynolds is entering his 10th season as first-choice seven at the Bunnies, having steered the side to the 2014 premiership and back-to-back preliminary finals the past two seasons.

Now 30, the playmaker is confident in his level of fitness after a shortened pre-season.

“I had a bit of surgery on the groin, but just a tidy up, it wasn’t too bad,” he added.

“The body is feeling pretty good at the moment, probably the best I’ve felt for a long time, mentally and physically, overall happy with how the pre-season’s going.”

Heading into Wayne Bennett’s final season in charge at Redfern, Reynolds said the squad are galvanised having just missed out on the decider in recent seasons.

“We want to try and win every game possible. It’s time to step up and be serious about things,” he said.

"We probably haven’t hit the mark with where we’ve wanted to be over the last couple of years and the fire is still there from falling short once again.

“Hopefully we can erase that memory and start the season well.”

Souths meet the Dragons in the Charity Shield on Saturday before getting their 2021 campaign underway against reigning premiers Melbourne on Thursday, March 11.

1 Like

4 years is too long for me, His body has been a bit busted for a few seasons now, I reckon 2 years is good

9 Likes

3 or 4 years, yeah no wonder we arent on the same page. Good luck at the Tigers/Dragons/Dogs if thats what youre wanting Adam

2 Likes

Funny how this comes out same time as Latrell news is announced.

2 Likes

Unlike Latrell, Adam isn’t in a position to sign a 2 year deal, waiting for the salary cap to improve in 2023, at 30 he wants to secure his last contract, I can understand his point, but is it in the best interest of Souths, are there any serious contenders for his place in the top 13, as yet I haven’t seen one.

1 Like

Every player participated in media today so there will be a few articles floating about on the lads today.

1 Like

If the club has learnt anything with contracts, they won’t be doing long term deals for older players.

3 Likes

I’m guessing Reyno wants 4 years and Souths are offering 2 years…meet in the middle and agree on 3 years. Done deal.

5 Likes

He was offered two years

1 Like

Might fire him up fir his bet season.
Who knows.

Reynolds is an interesting one. The greatest halfback of the modern era for South Sydney but we also got to take into consideration our future. At this moment we have an abundance of talented halves coming through the system and if we keep onto Renno for to long we run the risk of other clubs snatching them up for opportunities elsewhere.

I love Renno but sooner rather then later it’s Taaffe, Illias, Mundine and J Cooks time to get an opportunity to join Latrell in the spine.

3 Likes

I thought Adam was signed until the end of next season. My bad.

Has Reyno already turned 30 this year, or is he turning 31 later on this year?

Anyway, 2 years max, with an option for another year in the Clubs favour is all Souths should be looking to give.

Reyno is aging & appears to be carrying back issues as well as other long term niggles that come from a decade in the top grade. He will have to be replaced at some point.

I hope the Club and AR can come to a suitable arrangement.

2 Likes

Time to bring in new blood. Reynolds has had a decent run, he is no Cooper Cronk or Thurston who both maintained their brilliance at the back end of their careers. Reynolds though good, promoting a youngster this season will help with that transition. The same goes for Cody, especially given their failures in the past three prelims. This is their last year to step up and prove their worth given the loyalty the club has shown to both of them.

3 Likes

My bet is he signs for 2 years with an option in the clubs favour for the 3rd.

The reality is the young crop are 20/21 and aren’t going to stick around forever so it’s a delicate balance. It might mean our next half comes from outside the club or is currently playing SG Ball if we don’t get it right.

5 Likes

If Adam is like this he can go need to keep Taafe he is our future not Adam

2 Likes

Josh Cook will leave if no first grade this year.

3 Likes

I’d like to see Taaffe eventually partner Cody in the halves first and Reynolds to stay on as halves coach then when Cody finishes up either Illias or Mundine slots into five eight. Taaffe is already established then and leading the team around. One of the reasons we have always managed to be a strong performing team is due to our strong little halfback taking ownership of the squad. Taaffe will need Cody’s support at the start but I wouldn’t be bloody two youngsters at once into our halves.

3 Likes

many talk about Taaffe, etc as Souths future, but all are unproven at FG level. As i have said before the majority of the up and comers are not willing to go through a full development, they want to be in FG at 18, 19, 20, when probably not ready.

Flanagan wasn’t ready for FG, to name one, but there was all the hype, the pressure to develop and perform while in FG is immense, more crash than fly at a young age.

Souths keeping Reynolds too long, does it put in jeopardy keeping a half that has that promise because he isn’t willing to wait around in Reggies?

2 Likes

If Taaffe is truly Souths future in the halves, why is he behind Hawkins and Dargan and being groomed to play FB?

2 Likes

Cause Hawkins and Dargan are in top 30 and have been shopped around but no takers. We don’t have a back up fullback so Taaffe had to do it.

4 Likes