2020 State of Origin: Game 3 – Pre Match Discussion

State of Origin III: Allan, Grant to debut; Addo-Carr named
NRL.com
Fri 13 Nov 2020, 04:00 PM

More info here
https://www.nrl.com/draw/state-of-origin/2020/round-3/maroons-v-blues/

If you’d offered Queensland the chance to head to Suncorp Stadium for a deciding match before the Ampol State of Origin series opener in Adelaide they would have gladly taken it.

The tricky thing for the Maroons is they don’t have long to turn a game-two drubbing in Sydney into a match-winning performance.

NSW were easily the better side at ANZ Stadium with their middle forwards dominating, Nathan Cleary kicking the Maroons off the park and their back three getting almost every set off to a great start.

The Blues will start at hot favourites despite the match being played in enemy territory as they chase a first three-peat since 2003-05.

Maroons: Cameron Munster has been named in the No.6 jersey despite playing just two minutes of game two after suffering a head knock. There are two changes to the run-on side, with Corey Allan replacing Phillip Sami on the wing and Christian Welch returned at prop after missing game two due to a concussion.

Welch’s return forces Dunamis Lui back to the bench with Moeaki Fotuaika sliding back to the reverses list.

The other change to the Queensland bench sees Harry Grant named in the No.14 jersey to make an Origin debut. Ben Hunt (who was No.14 for the first two matches) drops back to the reserves list.

Blues: NSW have retained the same 17 from the team that won convincingly at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night.

The only changes coming on the reserves list with Ryan Papanhuyzen (returning from a calf injury) joined by Jarome Luai, Cameron McInnes and Nick Cotric in jerseys 18-21.

As expected, Josh Addo-Carr has been named on the wing despite having arrived at training on Thursday with a toe injury.

“It’s like a jarred finger but on my toe,” he said. “It just got caught in an awkward tackle. One of the Queensland boys just landed on my foot. I should be sweet to play it’s just swollen a bit. It should be alright.”

Match Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch Judge: Chris Butler
Touch Judge: Todd Smith
Senior Review Official: Steve Chiddy

Last updated: 04:22 pm Friday 13th November 2020

https://www.nrl.com/news/

1 Like

Ben Hunt. Bwahaha

Congrats to Corey Allen - what a year for the kid!

Like the QLD team much better than last week.

7 players for SOO (inc Murray) is mighty impressive. Not to mention our coach too.

5 Likes

Go Corey

Good on you son

1 Like

Well done Corey Allan. Not bad for a bloke who is apparently too slow and who also allegedly smokes 40 cigarettes a day.

8 Likes

Imagine if he smoked Winfield reds he will be playing for Australia straight up

Vapes at half time

1 Like

Well done Corey well deserved.

1 Like
1 Like

NSW Blues team trained at Wallarah Oval, Kanwal, Central Coast today.

2 Likes

ssfcrabbitohs Game Three Feels. :triumph: #Decider :rabbit2::heart::green_heart:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I hope they play GI fullback.

2 Likes

Bennett’s Allan key to victory

TRAVIS MEYN

Outside back Corey Allan.

MAROONS coach Wayne Bennett is set to throw an Origin selection curveball by thrusting South Sydney dynamo Corey Allan into a fullback baptism of fire.

Allan is in line to make his State of Origin debut at fullback in Wednesday’s series decider against NSW at Suncorp Stadium.

Named on the wing, Allan could unseat Game Two custodian Valentine Holmes as Bennett looks for a way to stifle the impact of Blues wing weapon Josh Addo-Carr.

Holmes has a superb Origin record as a winger, scoring eight tries in five games, and could be deployed to his most lethal spot after Addo-Carr demolished Queensland in Sydney last week.

The Maroons have injury concerns after winger Xavier Coates was relegated to light duties at training yesterday, paving the way for Brenko Lee to debut at centre, with Dane Gagai shifting out wide.

Allan, 22, enjoyed a meteoric rise this year after replacing Latrell Mitchell at fullback in Souths’ late run to the NRL preliminary finals, where they were bundled out by Penrith.

Sporting a terrible poker face, Allan giggled when asked if he was playing fullback and said he would have no problems debuting at the back.

“I’m named on the wing,” he said with a smile.

“The plan right now is to focus on coming up against Addo-Carr.

“I don’t think it (fullback) would trouble me too much, I’ve been playing it all year.

“I’m not too fussed about it. I’m comfortable no matter where I play.”

Allan admitted he was stunned to be selected to play State of Origin

3 Likes

1 Like

Jyp

1 Like

Remember how once upon a time we all stood firm that we were glad we didn’t have any players in origin because they wouldn’t get hurt?

Tonight, we have 5 reps who currently play for our club - it would be 6 if Murray was fit - and one incoming for 2021. Plus, our coach is there.

That’s not too shabby.

4 Likes

Allan fullback Holmes wing Brenko centre Capewell back row Coates 50/50 with Edrick replacing him if he’s not fit. If we don’t beat them Freddy will lose his job in my opinion

1 Like